Keyes unlocks campaign goals

Known for impassioned speeches on moral integrity and the need for less government intervention in American citizens' lives, Republican presidential hopeful Ambassador Alan Keyes addressed a 600-person crowd in the Chemistry Auditorium yesterday about returning to self-government and the "effects of moral self destruction."

Keyes said he believes people must "once again" be morally and socially responsible in order to take back power from the present government establishment.

"Government is necessary as a reflection of our own faulty nature, [and] because we step over that line we need to be constrained by force," Keyes said. "The principle of government is coercion, not freedom."

Keyes was the U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Economic and Social Council during former President Ronald Reagan's administration.

Keyes spoke about many issues ranging from capital punishment to the role of religion in public schools. But he concentrated on abortion, which he feels is one of the most important issues of his campaign. "We cannot take the life of our future in the womb," he said.

As he discussed each issue, he reiterated the need for people to stand up and take back their "God-given rights."

"The greatest challenge of the 20th century is to return to self-government," he added.

Although Keyes has not received more than 10 percent of the votes in any primary, he said he plans to continue fighting to educate the public about his ideas on government and morality.

"I wake up on the day after the [primaries] and know that I'm doing something right," he said.

But regardless of who the Republican nominee will be this fall, Keyes said he believes it will be difficult to defeat the Democrats in the general election.

"The American people see no reason to take control from the party," he said. "I think we've got a tough road ahead."

The Keyes campaign stopped at the University in preparation for tomorrow's Virginia primaries. The event was hosted by the College Republicans.

"Alan Keyes is a great guy, a phenomenal public speaker and the University is proud to have him here," said College Republicans member Andrew Woodson, who helped organize the event.