Home run derby: Cavs throttle Spiders

RICHMOND-Neither sporadic rain nor gusting winds could stop Virginia from toppling Richmond 11-2 after a stunning display of batting prowess in the first inning.

Virginia's (14-14-1) magical four-run first inning began with Shawn McCleary scoring from third on a wild pitch by Spider right-hander Tom Mahony. Hunter Wyatt then scorched a 3-2 pitch over the wall in right-center to put the Cavs up 2-0. Two batters later, Tim LaVigne crushed the ball into the woods behind left field to plate both Luis Giraldo and himself.

"If you can get out to a lead, especially when you're on the road, that's huge," Cavalier coach Dennis Womack said.

The Spiders (13-13) countered by scoring one run apiece in the second and third, the only two of the first six innings where the Cav bats were silent.

But with clouds rolling in and whistling wind blowing through the trees, the Cavs decided to make a little noise of their own. Freshmen Ben Himes and Robert Word smashed back-to- back home runs to open the fourth. Himes registered his fourth homer of the season while Word notched his first collegiate round-tripper.

Wyatt nailed his second home run of the game in the sixth inning to drive in Robbie Marvin and Jon Benick, fulfilling a pregame prophecy made by Dan Street and Mark Rueffert.

"We called that," Street said. "Me and Rueffert called Hunter's two home runs today."

With his 37th and 38th hits of the season, Wyatt's bolstered his batting average to .345. He ranks second on the team in RBIs with 24. The team leader in RBIs, catcher Jon Benick, finished 2-4 and scored once.

"The guy was working me outside, so I was just trying to take the ball to right field and I got a good swing on it." Wyatt said.

Shocked by the Cavalier home run derby, the Spiders were unable to contend with Virginia pitching.

Street took the mound for the Cavs in the fourth and dominated, quickly retiring eight straight Richmond batters.

"What we needed to do with this lead is stop them offensively, and that is exactly what Danny did for us," Womack said.

Street finished the game allowing one hit and one walk after facing 16 batters, and notched his first win of the season. He entered in relief of starting pitcher Doug Vromer, who had to leave after developing soreness in his shoulder.