Softball shakes off rough start

While many Virginia students are looking forward to getting out of Charlottesville for Spring Break, the Cavalier softball team is looking forward to coming back to town.

As they return home from a slew of rigorous road games to make their home debut in the Cavalier Classic this weekend, the Cavs believe they can still capture the Conference title after reaching the ACC Tournament Finals last year.

Though the numbers might not reflect it - after 13 games the squad has a 2-11 record - this year's team is packed with a group of high-powered veterans and six hard-hitting newcomers capable of turning things around.

"We're a little disappointed [that] we've started out slow, even though we know we've played some really tough games," Virginia Coach Cheryl Sprangel said. "But we're not going to dwell [on it] and we're trying to learn from those games. Playing strong teams exposes your weaknesses and every day we've been working, improving the small things so we can start putting it together."

Related Links

• Virginia softball

• ACC softball

•  

Virginia loses only two starters from last season: catcher Mary Ruth Graham and All-ACC shortstop Lori Reese, who was selected in the eighth round of the Women's Pro Softball League.

Sprangel will fill the two gaps with four freshmen. Johanna Kaiser likely would have been the starting shortstop, but she is sidelined with a sprained ankle. Fellow rookie Ruby Rojas, a member of the Venezuelan national team, is still adjusting to shortstop.

Freshmen Britton Gore and Stephanie Calhoun, who each have a strong arm and quick reactions, will split the catcher's duties. Both also have hit well thus far.

The addition of the freshmen infielders to the starting lineup has forced some of the veterans to make a few adjustments.

"We have a lot of first years on the field and they have a lot of talent, but it takes time to get used to someone different being out there," third baseman Karen Breshears said. "I have to see what I need to do differently this year in relation to last year, and that takes time to get down."

Sprangel returns all three starting outfielders from last year's team: junior right fielder Meaghan Young and seniors Corinne Good in center and Jen Krill in left.

The Cavaliers also return three experienced pitchers in seniors Stacey Zagol and Chrissy Quinn and 1999 ACC Rookie of the Year Kristen Dennis.

"It will put a lot of pressure on our opponents because all three of us have different pitching styles," Quinn said. "If we see a team getting used to one pitcher we can switch up and go in with someone completely new."

Virginia looks to be strong defensively but may have trouble with run production. The Cavs have scored only 19 runs in their 13 games. Yet Quinn said she is not worried.

"It's a matter of confidence," Quinn said. "We haven't been getting runs, but we can't let that get us down. We have so much individual talent out there, and once we start gelling as a team we'll start winning."

Success in their four games this weekend should give the Cavs some of that much-needed confidence.

Virginia still holds an ACC title as its ultimate goal, but right now that is a distant concern for a team still trying to find the path to victory.