Council group to research 'Not gay!' chant

Rising student concern prompted Student Council to create a new ad-hoc committee to research ways to stop students from chanting "Not gay" in the Good Ol' Song during football games.

Council President Joe Bilby sponsored the bill along with College Reps. Carter Lloyd and Mario Scullati.

The bill calls for a research committee to look into ways to discourage students from participating in the "not gay" chant without causing a backlash. Bilby said the committee will study the problem and report back to Council with possible solutions by March 31.

The committee will be formed after Fall Break.

Council has tried in the past to eradicate the "not gay" chant from the Good Ol' Song but failed.

Two years ago Council sponsored a resolution denouncing the chant, Bilby said. But the resolution prompted students to rebel and scream the chant even louder than usual at the next game, a reaction Council hopes to avoid this year.

The new committee will take a different approach to the problem and come up with ways to educate students, rather than telling them what they should or should not do, Bilby said.

"The basic approach is to persuade students one at a time, rather than telling them directly what to think," he said. "The reason we are taking a study is to use methods that aren't na