Students weigh in voting behavior

For many University students, yesterday's election marked their first experience choosing a new president

Sitting on the steps of Alderman Library yesterday afternoon, first-year College student Mike Figura, of Newport News, said he voted for Vice President Al Gore as the best candidate because he disagreed with many of the policies of President-elect George W. Bush.

"I don't like Bush's education plan, I don't like his proposed Social Security plan, I don't like his affirmative action plan, I don't like his military plan and I don't like his foreign policy plan," Figura said.

Still, de said he thinks the election will be very close.

Fairfax native Lauren Dyke, a first-year College student, also voted for Gore rather than Bush and said she felt well-informed in her decision.

"I watched the debates and read a lot of pamphlets on the candidates. I just think Gore has more experience than Bush," Dyke said. "Some of Bush's policies, like anti-abortion, scare me and I don't think his views are representative of the majority of the country."

First-year College student Jaime Baran, a resident of Massachusetts, said she went home to cast her vote rather than using an absentee ballot, like many other University students.

She said she voted for the Republican slate of candidates, saying, "George Bush seems more honest than Al Gore. I think Bush is going to win."

Fourth-year Architecture student AndrŽ Llewellyn did not get to vote, but said had he voted he would have chose Ralph Nader for president rather than the candidates presented by the two major parties.

"I want to see an end to the duopoly. Having a third party in there brings a new set of ideals and goals that the other two don't touch on," Llewellyn said.

Most students voted using absentee ballots and said they found the process convenient and efficient, rather than a hassle or difficulty.

"It was easy. I did it last week and then mailed it in. It took me five minutes," fourth-year College student Mike Fields said.

"Absentee ballot applications were even available in the University Bookstore," Dyke said.

There were, however, students who found the absentee ballot process to be a great hassle.

"It is a hassle, but since you can now apply online, maybe it will be easier next time around," third-year College student and New Jersey resident Kyle Dargan said.

The Newcomb Hall Post Office reported that on Monday it mailed 50 overnight express letters compared to an average of four a day.

There were also people who came yesterday and requested same-day delivery, only to find it did not exist and they were not going to be able to send their votes in time to be counted in the election.

But many students did not vote. Some of these said it was because they just did not have time to carry out the necessary procedures.

"Because you're so busy at college, it is not really your top priority," said first-year College student Liz Levy, who did not vote yesterday.

Other students made the conscious decision not to vote in this election.

Fourth-year College student James C. Tsai said, "I don't feel my vote makes much of a difference."

A student who asked to remain anonymous said, "I personally don't feel that my vote will make much of a difference, especially since our votes don't go towards the actual election" but to the Electoral College.

The student also chose not to vote because he disagreed with the negativity surrounding this year's political process in advertising and other arenas.

"I don't agree with shooting down other candidates," he said.

Overall, students said they felt pleased with the voting process.

"I was very excited. I have always been a firm believer that every vote counts," Dyke said.

"I felt a definite sense of pride in that I was fulfilling my obligation as a citizen," Fields said. "I was taking advantage of a privilege that many fought for"