Martino nets sole goal in U.S. win in Mexico

In its first international game of the year, the U.S. Men's Under-20 National Team defeated Mexico, 1-0, in Guadalajara, Mexico. Virginia sophomore Kyle Martino scored the contest's only goal in the 34th minute.

Martino, the Cavaliers' standout midfielder, is not Virginia's only player on the team. Alecko Eskandarian, the 2000 Soccer America Freshman of the Year and sophomore midfielder Kenny Arena are also members of the prestigious squad.

The team will play Mexico once more Feb. 1 before it returns to the United States. Following its homecoming, the team will go through two different training camps in preparation for the CONCACAF Under-17 World Championship qualifying tournament in Trinidad and Tobago Mar. 18-22. The Americans will play Trinidad and Tobago, Costa Rica and Guatemala. The top two teams in the qualifying tournament will advance to the World Youth Championship in Argentina from June 17 through July 8.

Throwers win ACColades

The ACC named Clemson junior Jamine Moton and North Carolina junior Ian Douglas as its Female and Male Indoor Track and Field Performers of the Week, respectively.

Moton set a Clemson record in the weight throw with her effort of 68.02 feet at the Ikon Invitational in Johnson City, Tenn. The throw automatically qualified her for the NCAA Indoors meet in that event. She also provisionally qualified for the NCAAs in the shot put with a toss of 50.29.

• Cavalier

Daily coverage of Virginia men

• Comments