Bill will add liaison for transfer students

As the 2000-2001 Student Council's tenure came to a close, the body passed a bill that will add a new transfer student liaison to Council.

The new Council representative will serve beginning fall 2001.

"That person will be welcome to speak on all issues but, because he was not elected, will be unable to vote," bill sponsor and College Rep. Micah Schwartz said.

The bill passed easily without dissent from Council.

The transfer student peer advisor program will appoint the liaison and work as a resource for the transfer students.

"It's a sort of orientation leader and resident adviser for the transfer students," Schwartz said.

The appointment will be made after an interview process during the early fall, Schwartz said. Transfer students will learn of this new position and application opportunities during their summer and fall orientation.

"Student Council will really benefit from the input of transfer students," Council President Abby Fifer said.

Only new transfer students will be allowed to serve as representatives.

"The old transfers have had the ability to elect someone," Schwartz said. "These are students who are not able to elect a representative."

The bill stated that 494 of the 3,421 new students of the 2000-2001 class were transfer students, thus spurring a need for a transfer student representative.

The bill also cited Second Year Council and Third Year Council's designated transfer student positions.

Current transfer students welcome the addition to Council.

"I don't think it could hurt in any way," third-year transfer student Sara Guttman said. "It's weird because you're special but you want to break away from that specialness."

Transfer student housing is one of the issues that could potentially be addressed by the new Council liaison, second-year transfer student Melissa Kahn said.

"Unless you're a transfer student you don't think of all the problems and difficulties we have," Kahn said.

Also at the meeting, Council passed a resolution to create an Athletics Affairs Committee, which will oversee aspects of University and athletic relations.