Deirdre Erin Murphy

Students might help College pick new faculty

The University's tradition of student involvement may get an additional boost in the College. The Arts and Sciences Council, comprised of students representatives from the College, hopes to start a program that would increase student involvement in faculty hiring within the College. Although still in its preliminary stages, Council members said they hope the initiative will allow students to give input into who will be their next professor.

Delta Sigma restarts recruiting process

The Alpha Mu chapter of Delta Sigma Phi Fraternity currently is recruiting new members after November hazing incidents left the fraternity with a depleted membership. The fraternity, which never lost its standing with the Inter-Fraternity Council, looks to surpass a potentially damaging point in its 83-year history at the University. "We want to be a social organization that has its values properly aligned -- that doesn't haze," Delta Sigma Phi Treasurer James Marshall said. Recruitment is the next step in the fraternity's reorganization process, which current members hope will revive Delta Sigma Phi's presence at the University. Delta Sigma Phi was suspended by its national Grand Council in November after a hazing incident concluded with two independent investigations by the University and the Grand Council. The Grand Council called for an immediate reorganization of the local chapter when it suspended its charter. The national office either expelled, suspended or retained Alpha Mu chapter members when reorganizing the fraternity's local chapter. "Some of the former members [were] allowed to continue as active members of the fraternity," said Aaron Laushway, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life. The national office could not be reached for comment. Once completed, Delta Sigma Phi underwent a four-week re-education process conducted by its national office, during which the fraternity shortened its pledge process from over a semester to eight weeks. The re-education "let people know what the fraternity is about," Marshall said.

News in Brief

University remembers Sept. 11, 2001 The University will sponsor events all day to observe the anniversary of Sept.

University to review, possibly change curriculum

In an effort to reassess and possibly revise curriculum, faculty members in each of the University's schools are completing the last leg of a University-wide review this year. "Each school will re-evaluate its curriculum," College Dean Edward L.

Arena plans set to pass third phase

The University took another important step in the planning of the new basketball arena when the Board of Visitors Building and Grounds committee approved the schematic plans for the venue May 9. The committee unanimously voted to recommend the plans to the Board at its next meeting to be held May 31.

More articles »