Drought forces officials to activate mandatory water restrictions

In reaction to Virginia's severe drought conditions, the City of Charlottesville and Albemarle County officials have declared mandatory water restrictions.

The restrictions went into effect at midnight, Aug. 22.

The restrictions began when the urban area water supply hit 70 percent, the lowest either the city or county has seen in years.

Earlier in the week officials decided to set the restrictions if the water supply fell at 70 percent or on Sept. 3, whichever came first.

In an effort to conserve water, the restrictions prohibit residents from watering their lawns and washing their cars at home.

Additionally, residents must stop washing sidewalks, streets, driveways, parking lots, exteriors of homes or apartments and commercial or industrial buildings.

In compliance with the restrictions, the University halted irrigation and fall planting, turned off ornamental fountains and stopped washing University vehicles, University Director of Utilities Cheryl Gomez said in a memo.

Residents may use a three-gallon watering can to water their plants, and all watering must be done before 7 a.m. or after 8 p.m.

Individuals also may use professional car washes to clean their automobiles.