News in Brief

University remembers Sept. 11, 2001

The University will sponsor events all day to observe the anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001.

A ceremony at University Hall will include music, readings, poetry and interfaith prayers.

The remembrance, intended to honor those who died in the attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon, will take place from 11:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.

In the evening, an interfaith candlelight vigil on the Lawn is scheduled to begin at

7:30 p.m. The event includes poems, prayers and readings from students, community members and professors.

The city of Charlottesville will sponsor another vigil tonight, held at the County Office Building at 8 p.m. City and county police, fire and emergency officials and personnel will attend.

David Newsom, former acting secretary of state in the Carter administration, and Marshall Brement, career foreign service officer, will speak at the Miller Center at 11 a.m. They will discuss U.S. diplomacy in Asia and Europe after Sept. 11.

At Jordan Hall Conference Center Auditorium, Jonathan Glover from King's College in London will speak for the Medical Center Hour: Memory and Meaning. The memorial is scheduled for

12:30

1:30 p.m.

A public panel discussion from 4-5 p.m. at the Jefferson Library at Monticello will discuss Jefferson's religious freedom theory and its relevance in today's world.

A memorial service at 7 p.m. in McLeod hall, sponsored by the Muslim Students Association and the local Muslim organization Islamic Society of Central Virginia, will include speakers and interfaith prayers.

The Chaplaincy Department will host memorial services in the Hospital Chapel at 6 a.m., 12 noon and 7 p.m. today.

Additionally, the American Red Cross will sponsor a blood drive at The Cage at U-Hall from 1-7 p.m.

More events can be found on the University of Virginia Web site: www.virginia.edu/911/