Gupta designated as Council chief of staff for 2001-2002

Even without prior Student Council experience, Anita Gupta demonstrated her leadership and organizational skills to earn her appointment to Council chief of staff. Gupta takes over on Tuesday.

"Anita has the leadership and planning skills to lead the Presidential Cabinet," said Abby Fifer, Council president-elect and current chief of staff.

The chief of staff is charged with the responsibility of overseeing the administration of the 12 committees, such as the Safety Concerns Committee and Student Arts Committee. He or she works with the president to coordinate each committee for the term.

"Since the chief of staff oversees 12 committees and should be an expert on each one, she needs to constantly keep her ear on the ground and be able to feed new and useful information from all around the University to her chairs," Fifer said.

Council committees investigate and report on a range of student interests, including academic, dining and international student affairs.

Gupta has been a program director at Madison House, now is a resident advisor and is on the advisory committee for the Sexual Assault Resource Agency.

"She brings a lot of outside experience and a fresh perspective to Student Council," Council president Joe Bilby said.

"A lot of [the responsibility of being] chief of staff is motivating people," Gupta said. "I think that is more of my kind of job."

Gupta's plans include increasing the visibility of the committees.

"I want to make the committees more visible and something students can relate to and go to," she said.

Specifically, Gupta wants to implement frequent announcements, strong fall committee recruitment, and personal student invitations to events.

"Council committees are some of the only things a student can join without any sort of application," Fifer said.

The president and chief of staff work closely throughout the year. Gupta and Fifer are gearing up for their partnership in the upcoming year.

"First, Anita and I selected the 12 phenomenal chairs who will lead the committees next year," Fifer said. "Together we have a lot of new and creative ways for the committees to serve their constituents and branch out within the community"