Search for College dean nears finish

Nine months ago, College Dean Melvyn P. Leffler announced he would resign in August. Nine months later, his replacement still is unknown.

But according to Gene Block, chairman of the search committee charged with finding Leffler's replacement, there are several "exceptional" applicants from which the new dean will be chosen.

"We have interviewed a number of external as well as internal candidates," Block said. "We are currently planning on inviting a group of candidates back to the University later this month. From there we will make our choice."

The search for Leffler's replacement is slated to conclude by the end of this month.

"That way, the new dean can take up residence here over the summer and make the transition to his new position," Block said.

Leffler announced his resignation after accepting the visiting Harmsworth Professorship in American history at Oxford University. He will stay at Oxford for one year and return to the University as a faculty member in the history department.

Former Faculty Senate Chairman David T. Gies said he hopes the new dean will possess a clear view of academics at the University.

"He needs to share the vision of U.Va. as a first-rate university," Gies said. "He must also be willing and ready to support the nationally recognized programs we have while working hard for growth in the other departments."

Faculty Senate Chairman-elect Robert M. Grainger agreed with Gies about the necessity of selecting a dean with a vision for the College.

"Our new dean needs to be a forward-looking person," Grainger said. "We're very pleased that U.Va. has reached the stature it has, and under the new dean, I wish to see all disciplines in the College continue their upward march in quality."

In addition to these qualities expected of the new dean, one stands above the rest: the ability to raise funds.

"Fundraising is going to be extremely important in the next few years," Grainger said. "Dean Leffler was great at raising funds, which was extremely helpful for the College during his tenure. He set the tone of what will be expected from the new dean."

Grainger is not alone in his views. Other faculty members expressed concern stemming from Gov. James S. Gilmore III's (R) budget proposals, which included less higher education funding than many institutions requested.

"The state has made it clear that the University cannot depend on being funded with public money," Gies said. "The new dean must make fundraising one of his top priorities."

"Someone who can raise money will definitely help," said Jeffrey Legro, acting chairman of the government and foreign affairs department. "Under the present budget situation, we're hurting here in the College. We need money to repair and build new facilities and to attract top faculty members and graduate students."

Despite the need for fundraising, the College is "in a pretty good place to build on right now," Legro said. "The new dean needs to work off past success at the College."

Gies said he is sure the search will yield the right candidate for the job.

"I have complete confidence that the new dean will continue the tradition of high-quality deans at the College," he said.

In the end, whoever the new dean turns out to be, he will have his work cut out for him.

"He needs to be able to raise money, be effective internally, and needs to be knowledgeable of the politics here at the University," Legro said. "His job is definitely not an easy one"