University officials plan for Dave Matthews show

As the Dave Matthews Band entourage descends upon the University, law enforcement and other safety officials are taking steps to ensure that both concert goers and community members are kept out of harm's way.

The Albemarle fire team and the Charlottesville-Albemarle rescue squads have been developing contingency plans for problems that may arise during and after the concert.

"We have been doing nothing but Dave Matthews [planning] for the last three weeks," Albemarle Fire Battalion Chief Britt Grimm said.

To determine how much extra coverage is needed, the rescue squad drew up an estimate of typical injuries and accidents that have occurred at similar types of venues, said Benjamin Sojka, one of the University special events coordinators for the Charlottesville-Albemarle rescue squad.

The teams then determined the best plan of action to cover the large event.

This Saturday, fire and medical teams will be located inside Scott Stadium throughout the entire concert. Extra fire equipment also will be positioned in several strategic locations around the concert venue.

Also, a paramedic bike team will patrol the University on Saturday and later into Sunday.

"There will be a significant number of personnel before, during and after the event," Sojka said.

Both the fire and rescue squads will pull in vehicles and manpower from surrounding counties to cover the event.

"There will be officers from the University, Charlottesville, Albemarle and Virginia State police," Coleman said.

Despite high expectations for the crowd's behavior, University Police are still stepping up security efforts.

The procedures for the concert "will be similar to what we would do for a football game," University Police Capt. Michael Coleman said.

Charlottesville will provide a special hotline number for residents who experience non-emergency situations. The 979-INFO number should be called in lieu of 911.

Many officers also will be enforcing traffic restrictions and patterns.

Beginning at 1 a.m. Saturday, cars located in lots immediately south, east and west of the stadium will be towed. These lots include those located in the immediate vicinity of the stadium as well as meters at the Aquatic and Fitness Center, Gilmer Hall and Whitehead Road.

Beginning at 2 p.m. and lasting until midnight, roads around the area will be closed or restricted to traffic.

Alderman Road between Stadium Road and McCormick Road will be closed. Areas restricted to access passes include Alderman Road between McCormick Road and Ivy Road, McCormick Road between Emmet Street and Alderman Road, and Stadium Road between Emmet Street and Alderman.

Parking options include free parking at University Hall and Fontaine Research Park, $5 parking at downtown parking garages, and $10 parking at the University Health System garage at 15th Street and Monroe Avenue. A free shuttle will be provided for the downtown parking garages.