Assault, gunshots fired near Sigma Nu

The University Police Department is investigating an alleged assault, which occurred yesterday morning outside of the Sigma Nu fraternity house on Carr's Hill.

According to University Police, several unidentified individuals attacked Col. Jose Martin shortly after midnight.

Martin, who is not a University student, was leaving the Sigma Nu house, after attending a party hosted by the student organization Black Caesar.

Although Black Caesar is a student organization, Monday night's party was a private, non-University-related event.

Black Caesar plans different entertainment events and had rented Sigma Nu for the party.

University Police also are investigating allegations that gunshots were fired in conjunction with the assault.

A man riding in the passenger seat of a car had fired four times toward the sky out of the window, said Berkley Doss, a fourth-year College student and a passerby who witnessed the events.

University Police Captain Michael Coleman said police are not aware of why the assault ocurred and gunshots were fired.

Neither Martin nor the assailants appear to be associated with the University.

Sigma Nu President Bob Etras arrived at the party shortly after the incident occurred.

"There was apparently some argument in the basement where someone threw water on someone else," Etras said. "Those involved were immediately escorted outside."

No significant injuries incurred at the party, Black Caesar member Bokar Ture said.

Despite the assault, "the people running the party ran it really well," Etras said.

Alcohol was not served, and members of Black Caesar checked people for weapons before they entered the party, he added.

The police arrived shortly after the shots were fired but did not shut down the party, Etras said.

"There was really nothing to be concerned about," said Sigma Nu house manager Justin Gavin, who was at the party. "It was probably the smoothest house rental we have had"