Undefeated Cavaliers retake field against Wake Forest

Athletics at Virginia are set to resume tonight with a pivotal men's soccer contest between ACC rivals. No. 6 Virginia looks to extend its winning ways tonight in a 7 p.m. matchup with ACC rival No. 24 Wake Forest at Klockner Stadium.

The game originally was scheduled for Saturday, but was pushed back as a result of ACC cancellations of athletic competition through Saturday.

Virginia comes into Monday night's contest on a definite high note. The Cavaliers won the Sept. 7-9 Maryland/Fila Classic in College Park, Md., after they defeated American, 4-2, and Creighton, 3-2.

Junior forward Kyle Martino was named ACC player of the week last week for leading the Cavaliers to victories over American and Creighton. Martino's goal and four assists in the two games earned him a spot on the All-tournament team and offensive MVP of the tournament as well.

Martino and the rest of the Cavaliers (3-0-1) are ready to face a Wake Forest (2-1) squad that comes stumbling into Klockner. After starting their season strong with victories over James Madison and George Mason, the Demon Deacons were upset, 1-0, by unranked Dartmouth in their home opener Sept. 8.

Just over a year ago when the Cavaliers traveled to Wake Forest for their first ACC match of the season, they had little trouble putting the Deacons in their place. Although they played a man down in part of the second half after Martino was ejected, the Cavaliers still found the back of the net and took away a 2-0 victory.

But more than likely, the Cavaliers aren't thinking about the match they won at Wake last year, nor are they concentrating on the Deacon's results so far this season. More than anything, this season the Cavaliers are focusing on themselves - where they're going and who they will take down to get there.

"More than any other year this team worries about itself," Virginia coach George Gelnovatch said. "I think we're good enough where we make teams worry about us."

"Every team in the world has weaknesses," sophomore forward Alecko Eskandarian said of the team. "It's how you cope with those and work to your strengths that win games. I think our strengths are better than any other school's strengths in the country"