Election to fill empty Council positions

Every fall Student Council holds elections to fill empty positions left from last term. This year, six candidates are running for the three available positions on Council.

"Council apportions seats according to spring enrollment figures and in the fall we need to even out the representative body so that we have a full 28 member body," Council President Abby Fifer said.

The polls will open online Oct. 29 at 8 a.m. and close Oct. 31 at 8 p.m.

Normal voter turn out in the fall is around 10 percent, said Adam Trusner, chairman of Council's elections committee.

"We should vote because Student Council is now considering different issues which will affect not only the current student body but also students for years to come," Trusner said. "To go over 10 percent would be nice."

The six candidates range from first- year to third-year students and are from a variety of backgrounds.

The candidates for the three open positions are Dan Burrows, Junehee Kim, Jamie Watson, Nirupa Shankar, Timothy Foley and Tanay Amin.

Burrows, Kim and Watson said they decided to run because of their discontent with Council.

"We want to go out and give the students the option of someone who more accurately represents the student body," Burroughs said.

Burrows plans to focus on such issues as student parking and the new Inter-Fraternity Council rule banning non-Greeks from renting fraternity houses.

Shankar said she believes her diverse background and student leadership experience will help her on Council.

"After coming to U.Va. ... I have realized how wonderful it is to work for a cause that benefits the whole student body," Shankar said. "I feel that I have a lot to contribute towards the University community."

Kim, Amin, Foley and Bryant were unable to be reached for comment.

Graduate student Erika Byrant is running uncontested for the graduate student position on Council.