Student Council sponsors Clear Your Debt Day

With the help of Student Council, the Financial Services Office will relocate for one day to Newcomb Hall to give students the opportunity to more easily pay off their debts.

On Nov. 7, students can pay outstanding fines and speak with student account and financial aid consultants at the on-Grounds satellite office during 'Clear Your Debt Day.'

"Student Financial Services wanted to be accessible to students during high peak times," Council representative Mizuki Tanabe said.

Students who do not have cars or do not live close to Carruthers Hall, where Financial Services is normally located, often struggle to get to the Financial Services Office in time to remove registration blocks, said Student Council President Abby Fifer.

"We want to help ease the location problem of Carruthers Hall," Tanabe said.

Carruthers Hall is located on Route 29 North across from Barracks Road Shopping Center.

The satellite office will be located in Newcomb 168, next to STA Travel. Between Oct. 31 and Nov. 7, financial services will send out e-mails to notify students of any financial holds. Students are not able to register with financial holds.

"We're trying to keep people from being surprised when they go to enroll," Hubbard said.

Unpaid fees such as library fines, bookstore bills and parking tickets warrant a financial hold.

Two student account consultants, two financial aid officers and one cashier will work from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Student Council also will provide students to help maintain the office.

"We couldn't do it without Student Council's help," Hubbard said.

Students will only be able to pay by check at the satellite office. The financial services office located in Carruthers Hall also will remain open Nov. 7.

Financial Services and Student Council representatives said they hope to continue this service every semester. They do not have a quota to fill in order for the service to continue.

"We're planning on having it every semester with the assumption that it's going to be used," Hubbard said.

Financial services hopes to work on plans to place student account information online and to e-mail bills to students. They also are looking to find office space that is located closer to grounds.