Support missionaries' effort to spread faith

AMERICA watched solemnly and quietly Oct. 7, as America began its first overt military strikes on Afghanistan. Our leaders are striving for justice in a humble yet forthright manner. The American public overwhelmingly supports the military strikes in principle. American interests in the region are humanitarian and seek the best situation for the oppressed Afghani people. But one frequently overlooked dilemma is that of the two American Christian aid workers, Heather Mercer and Dayna Curry, who are still being held in Kabul for preaching the gospel to Muslims. Americans should be supportive of these individuals' right to proclaim Christianity in the face of Taliban laws prohibiting the activity.

There are two Americans detained in Kabul along with a team of international missionaries. They were arrested for preaching Christianity to Muslims - illegal in Afghanistan and punishable by death. Progress on the trial has been slowed due to repercussions from the Sept. 11 attacks.

Citizens, civil rights activists and columnists recently have voiced opposition to the Christian right. This opposition is imprudent at a time when we should support our president and seek to emulate the attitudes of these Christians. Many characterize bad Christians as those who seek to convince others of their beliefs and good Christians as those who privately keep them to themselves. The prisoners are torn between their beliefs and fear of being associated with "radicals" who seek to proselytize others without respect for their traditions and customs.

• USAID information on aid to Afghanistan
  • Persecution for sharing Christianity is not new to the faith - it has characterized the practice of Christianity since its beginning. Paul, one of the first Apostles, was flogged, imprisoned and stoned for his belief in Christianity. Paul's career began when he claimed to see Jesus - after his death - in a vision from heaven telling him to believe and tell others what he saw. Paul faced execution for breaking civil laws against such religious activity because he was convinced that what he saw really was Jesus alive in heaven.

Even if Paul truly believed that Christ rules with God in heaven - as do the Christian prisoners in Afghanistan - then why waste time convincing others of that truth when your life is at risk? The answer is unselfish love. Paul's and today's Christian interpretation of Christ's death on the cross is that he died so that people who have committed offenses against God could be reunited to God's righteous love free of penalty. The American prisoners in Afghanistan are not there because they wish to condemn Afghans for their beliefs. Instead, they have a common experience of receiving Christ's love which they claim has made their lives joyous.

At this time of enhanced patriotism, America should support its citizens who are being persecuted for sharing their beliefs. Instead, those who oppose right-wing Christians' inflammatory reactions to extreme Christian behavior are more judgmental than their foes. For instance, in the heat of passion Jerry Falwell placed blame for the terrorist attacks on certain groups according to their lifestyles. Although Falwell's declaration is contrary to accepted Christian doctrine, it is based in loving truth. Christianity states that all people are guilty of sin by nature and in certain parts of their lifestyle.

Similarly, traveling preachers, such as Jed Smock, who recently visited the University ampihtheater, have used public university areas to shock students into listening to their Christian message by shocking students with condemnatory speech. Student reaction to this attention-getting tactic has reached a level of resentment for his cause. This estranges Christians - like the American prisoners - acting out of the same sentiment of sharing and love. They believe that if their lives could be changed by Christ's love, then it would be worth the risk to tell others of the Christian story. While all Christians profess to tell the same story, none have achieved perfection. The nature of humanity has tainted the form by which Christianity is shared. It is therefore by Christ's death on the cross that Christians claim their sins to be atoned.

Jesus Christ was a popular historical figure as he had a way with people and seemed to draw large crowds by his healings, miracles and revolutionary teachings. His legacy can be seen through the lives of the ordinary people that carried the news of His death to distant lands against indigenous laws and customs. Eleven of his followers were atrociously killed for their beliefs after Jesus himself was crucified. These American Christian aid workers face the same dangers as Christ's disciples; they act with similar motives due to Jesus' life and death.

While many men and women have perverted Christianity for selfish political or social gains, there remains a remnant of Christ's followers - like the American prisoners - who act out of unselfish love. American criticism is sometimes warranted against those who pervert Christianity, but indignation is not righteous when directed at Christ's story or the Christian sharing of that message.

(Matt West's column appears Thursdays in The Cavalier Daily. He can be reached at mwest@cavalierdaily.com.)