DEMOCRATS RETAKE GOVERNORSHIP

RICHMOND - Democratic candidate Mark R. Warner captured Virginia's highest office last night as he defeated Republican Mark L. Earley for governor. He is the first Democratic governor in the state of Virginia since 1993.

Warner garnered 52 percent of the vote to Earley's 47 percent.

Warner claimed his election was a mandate for change in Virginia during his victory speech last night at the Marriott Hotel in Richmond.

"The people of Virginia have spoken," Warner said. "They want a new approach."

Warner's strong victory most likely carried Democrat Tim Kaine, who won over Republican Jay Katzen in the lieutenant governor race. But Democrat A. Donald McEachin lost by a large margin in the race for attorney general.

In his victory speech, Warner with his family and former Democratic governor L. Douglas Wilder by his side, spoke of the budget difficulties over the past year. Earlier this year, the Virginia General Assembly was dismissed without passing a budget for the year, forcing Gov. James S. Gilmore III to freeze some state funds.

"We will never have a repeat of last year," Warner said.

• Cavalier Daily elections coverage
  • He also promised to resolve fiscal problems now facing the Commonwealth, including increased unemployment rates and declining business revenues in wake of the Sept. 11 suicide attack on the Pentagon.

Warner also discussed the future of Virginia as its newly elected governor. As governor "I will be guided by one principle - to put Virginia first," he said.

State political pundits praised the Warner campaign's ability to woo conservative voters.

Warner has created "a good model for Democrats to use to run in Virginia," said Robert Holsworth, chair of the department of international and public affairs at Virginia Commonwealth University.

Holsworth said he believed the key to Warner's victory was his conservative campaign message, his mobilization of the entire state and the present budget problems between the governor and the General Assembly.

Warner's victory also rested on whether or not he could mobilize the Democratic base and get out the vote, Holsworth said.

In his speech to the cheering crowd, Warner spoke of the need for Virginia to unite across parties and regional differences. Reaching across partisan differences may prove to be especially important with a Republican attorney general in Warner's administration.

"We are all one Virginia and we all must work together," Warner said.

He thanked campaign volunteers, staff, family and friends for their hard work during the campaign.

Warner also thanked Virginia Democrats who rallied around him by saying, "you've waited a long time for a good party. Enjoy."

In Warner's acceptance address, he spoke of important changes he plans to make concerning issues ranging from education to taxes. He supports a tax referendum in Northern Virginia on whether to increase the sales tax to fund transportation improvements within the region.

Around Richmond, there was a steady flow of voters casting ballots.

At a local high school in Henrico County, Va., voters supporting Warner held a broad range of reasons for supporting the conservative-leaning Democrat.

"He's in line with my feelings on social issues," Henrico County resident Gabriel Taylor, Sr. said.

Henrico County resident Amy Green, another Warner supporter, said Warner's business experience and desire to change Virginia had swayed her vote.

As Warner became Virginia's next governor, he promised to take Virginia to great heights during his term.

"Virginia led America in its first century, and it should do the same in the 21st," Warner said.