Students elect new Council members

Student Council election results were posted Sunday night, with Daniel Burrows, Tanay Amin and Nirupa Shankar emerging as victors for the Council college representative positions.

Erika Bryant, who ran uncontested, will hold the Council graduate representative position.

Elections were held Nov. 14 through Nov. 16. Six percent of College students participated.

Election Committee Co-chairman Adam Trusner said he was not surprised at the small percentage of the student body that turned out to vote.

"It was the same as it normally is," Trusner said. "I wish more students would get involved."

Committee Co-Chairman Bryan Pettit noted that fall elections usually do not have a good turnout.

"Fall elections are generally a lower turnout anyhow," Petitt said.

Petitt said that in efforts to increase voter turnout, the committee put out flyers and chalked on Grounds.

It also sent an e-mail out to all students in the College reminding them to vote in the elections.

The lower voter turnout has raised some questions regarding the purpose of fall elections.

"The executive committee of Student Council has for sometime been reviewing councils internal structure in order to most efficiently and effectively respond to student needs," Council President Abby Fifer said. "The question of fall elections is one of many changes that we might put up to student vote in the spring."

Eliminating fall elections also has brought up doubts about the purpose of having spring elections.

"I think for anyone that raises this issue the follow up question would be: If you are appointed in the fall, why not in the spring," Fifer said.

Amin said he thought there could have been more done to improve the voter turnout numbers in the College during this fall's elections.

"I think there could've been a little more publicity," he said.

Candidates used various forms of campaigning techniques, including posting flyers, chalking sidewalks and even tabling on the Lawn.

"I held a stall on the Lawn where anyone could come and voice their concerns to me," Shankar said.

The candidates have various aims for their terms as Council representatives. Shankar cited such improvements as cheaper storage space for students and a free ride to Dulles International Airport.

Amin, who currently is serving on Council's academic affairs committee, hopes to improve what he believes to be a faulty appropriations process.

"I think I can probably make a difference with appropriations," he said.

The representatives will take office in the spring. This semester they will undergo a transition period of shadowing and learning about their new position.