Sept. 11 terrorist attacks influence some spring courses at University

The Sept. 11 terrorist attacks changed the American economy, airport security and international relations. Closer to home, changes have occurred in class topics, syllabi and enrollment numbers at the University and other Virginia colleges.

Washington & Lee University now offers classes on terrorism, and the College of William & Mary has added a class on the politics of Afghanistan since the terrorist attacks.

At the University, numbers in some foreign affairs classes have increased, and professors in various departments are including issues brought about by the attacks in their courses.

"I can say that my GFIR 101 [introduction to international relations] course currently has enormous demand," Foreign Affairs Associate Professor John Owen said. "The demand has always been high, but never like this. My educated guess as to why would be because of Sept. 11."

Foreign Affairs Professor William Quandt said he believed the particularly long waiting list for his class on international relations in the Middle East might be related to the terrorist attacks.

"I have a waiting list of about 50 people for a class that usually enrolls only 60 people," Quandt said.

In addition to long waiting lists for certain classes, courses in the foreign affairs department and other social sciences have changed their syllabi to include issues raised by the terrorist attacks.

Associate Anthropology Professor Richard Handler said he is starting his semester in introductory anthropology 101 with the topic "Cultural Relativism and Sept. 11."

"In a class on human differences, the questions raised by 9-11 are very easy to incorporate," Handler said.

James Sofka, associate professor of foreign affairs, also said he will try to incorporate issues raised by the terrorist attacks in his international law class.

"I will absolutely be making references to the terrorist attacks, but I'm not going to make it the sole purpose of the class," Sofka said. "I think that now more than ever it is important for students to know the fundamentals of international law."

While it appears that some students may be taking the classes in response to the terrorist attacks, others have not let it influence their decision.

Third-year College student David Keiser is currently enrolled in Sofka's international law class.

"I wouldn't say that the attacks caused me to take this class, but I think it will be a plus to hear what he has to say about them and how they relate to international law," Keiser said.