Body and Soul

When 20 students with blankets and pillows in tow trek across Lambeth Commons on an early Sunday morning, it may look like they're off to a sleepover. Instead they are preparing for the Art of Living course.

The group breaths heavily in sync - the only noise that can be heard in the stark, quiet common room. Students sit with their spines erect, either in Indian style or on their knees with their hands on their hips. They are performing the first stage of Pranayama, a type of yoga that begins to put the mind at ease.

The Art of Living course, a non-University class,lasts for six sessions that increase energy, a positivemindset, confidence and creativity. It is one of the most effective courses for stress elimination by using yoga, breathing techniques, deep relaxation, group interaction and discussion.

This course is taught in over 100 countries to more than a million people.

"The Art of Living improves the quality of life by using different techniques to calm the mind and eliminate stress," said 28-year-old Julia Tang, who taught the Art of Living course at the University that finished in early February. "We use only about 30 percent of our lung capacity, but over 90 percent of the toxins are released through the breath. By increasing our lung capacity, we can more effectively expel toxins from our system."

By using these breathing techniques, the thoughts racing through the mind that lead to stress are calmed.

"The quality of our life is determined by the state of our mind," Tang said. "Our mind has the tendency to oscillate like a pendulum between the past and the future. The more the mind vacillates, the more stress accumulates in our nervous system. The course brings our mind into the present moment. It stills the pendulum to the center - to the present moment, which is where all the joy is."

Fourth-year College student Maaya Marri is responsible for launching the course at the University.

She first took the Art of Living course in Maryland while she was a senior in high school and said she has been thankful for her decision ever since. Her experience with the class has helped to reduce some of the immense pressure of being pre-med.

"I feel like I have found this chest of gold that never empties," Marri said. "I have all the gold I need, and I have let my friends and family take all the gold they want. Now, I can either lock the chest up or open it up for everyone to get all the gold they want. The Art of Living course is such a simple and tangible way to really learn how to be active verses reactive."

Sri Sri Ravi Shankar, an Indian spiritual leader, founded the Art of Living course in 1982and has seen its popularity spread internationally.

According to the mission statement on the Art of Living Foundation Web site (www.artofliving.org), the organization "is dedicated to serving society by strengthening the individual. We do this by offering programs that eliminate stress, create a sense of belonging, restore human values and encourage people from all backgrounds, religions and cultural traditions to come together in celebration and service."

All teachers for this course are volunteers, and the $75 registration fee participants pay goes toward community service organizations. The main programs it supports are: ART Excel, an Art of Living program for children and teens; Dollar-A-Day, a school and service program for children and their communities in rural India; and the 5-H Program, social and community development projects for at-risk youth to become community leaders.

Part of the popularity of the Art of Living course has been because it forces participants to frequently take a break from their daily routines.

"The course has been especially popular with college students," Tang said. "We have taught the course at Berkeley, Harvard, MIT and University of Texas to name a few universities. College students are under so much pressure, but have little time to attend to the source of their stress."

An effective way to relieve this pressure is through a certain breathing technique.

"The breathing technique, called the Sudarshan Kryia, can be practiced in only 15 minutes per day," Tang said. "With this technique, you can increase your ability to concentrate without stress. I know many stories of peoples' grade point averages sky-rocketing after taking this course."

Even after doing the breathing techniques for only six days, fourth-year College student Barkha Patel said she noticed a positive change in her life. She has discovered that she is not bothered as much by the little things.

"I did this course because I need a sense of calmness in everyday life," Patel said, adding that she has noticed a "basic peace of mind" in her relationships and interactions.

"The course not only teaches you how to manage stress but also guides you toward a better way to live," she said.

But relaxing the mind and de-stressing the body are not the only lessons this course teaches its participants.

Students also can learn yoga at the same time.

"This is a really good course for people who have never had exposure to yoga because it teaches you three basic forms of yoga: breathing, physical yoga and meditation or concentration," fourth-year Commerce student Amrita Sandhu said. "I would recommend this course also for the de-stressing procedures it teaches."

The course focuses on breathing techniques to balance one's mind and eliminate stress, but it also emphasizes how to live a more bountiful life. Even techniques to increase confidence in certain situations are introduced.

"It's given me a perspective on people and life and a sense of happiness and peace," fourth-year Commerce student Sonia Wahi said. "Although I don't feel extremely different right now, I'm aware that down the road it will be very beneficial in my life."

After completing the course, participants make a commitment to perform the breathing techniques for 40 days in order to reap the full benefits and see the difference it makes in their lives.

Second-year college student Viraj Didwania has been doing the breathing techniques for a couple of years now.

"The course helped me to start responding to situations rather than reacting," Didwania said. "My focus increased greatly, my grades went up sharply. I have lost my temper only three times since I took the course. I feel a lot happier in total."

Tang said she believes that everyone can benefit from the Art of Living course, which will be offered at the University again from March 21-26.

"It transcends race, age, religion, academic interest," Tang said. "The techniques quiet the mind to allow more creativity"