Schools collaborate to build solar house

In an innovative project, University Engineering and Architecture students are joining forces to build a solar-powered house.

The entirely student-run project calls for the design, fundraising and construction of an 800-square-foot home run completely on energy from the sun.

The house will be entered into a Solar Decathlon, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy, which will take place on the National Mall in Washington, D.C. in September.

Among other criteria, the house must maintain a certain temperature and a certain humidity, run a laptop for six hours, wash a load of dishes and run a car in the competition, Architecture graduate student Adam Ruffin said.

Upon completion, the students hope to keep the home as a laboratory in Fontaine Research Park. They also would like to see it house visiting faculty members.

"We would hope, more than anything, for the house to be used," Ruffin said.

Students started planning for the solar-powered home in the fall of 2000 and construction is scheduled to start this spring.

A site in Crozet, a town located about 15 miles west of Charlottesville, has been chosen for construction of the house.

Most of the work will be completed this summer.

"I think the most important aspect is the design and making of something from scratch," said Ben Dorrier, fourth-year Engineering student and project manager. "It's amazing."

The students are continuing their fundraising efforts and will do so throughout the summer.

"We've had to raise all the money," Ruffin added.

Group members said they want to prove the feasibility of a solar run home.

"We want it to be seen for a model of sustainable housing for the future," said Paxton Marshall, associate professor of electrical and computer engineering and Engineering School advisor for the project. "You can live a comfortable lifestyle without burning a lot of fossil fuels."

Universities across the nation are scheduled to participate in the decathlon, including Virginia Tech, University of Maryland, University of Delaware, Carnegie Mellon, Auburn University and University of Texas.

The National Renewable Energy Laboratory, BP Solar and the American Institutes of Architects also serve as competition sponsors.