Gray to supervise orientation activities

Orientation, usually students' first encounter with the University, can look forward to new direction under Tabitha Gray, current University assistant dean of students of residence life.

The Office of the Dean of Students appointed Gray to fill the position of Director of Orientation and New Student Programs last week.

Eleanor Sparagana vacated the position last fall.

"Our office is thrilled to have Tabitha come work with us," Interim Assistant Director of Orientation Laurie Casteen said.

Gray will begin her new position June 1 after a transitional period in which she will work in both her new and old jobs.

Gray's responsibilities entail direct oversight of the University's orientation programs, including fall and summer orientation as well as Parent's Weekend.

Orientation programming aims to "ensure a successful transition to students new to the University," Dean of Students Penny Rue said.

Gray's goals look to improving and expanding orientation programming at the University.

The Office of Orientation plans on "developing new programs to meet the needs of all new students," Gray said.

Gray emphasizes the need to orient transfer and graduate students as well as first-year students to the University.

Graduate students currently are oriented through their individual schools.

The office also is "exploring new programming for graduate-student orientation and programming for siblings to the University," Rue said.

Gray and Casteen agree the Office of Orientation must work with other groups in order to be successful.

The job entails "collaborating with other academic and student affairs programs around Grounds," Casteen said.

Before coming to the University, Gray worked at George Washington University's Community and Living and Learning Center, serving as community director and manager of freshman services.

Gray has "worked with both first years and upper class students," Casteen added.

In her current position, Gray works within the upperclassman division of residential life. She maintains oversight responsibility as well as handling crisis situations.

"This is a new opportunity to work with students in ways I haven't before," Gray added.

Gray attended Boston College and completed her graduate work in college student personnel administration at Indiana University.

The national search to fill the vacant position began in January when a committee consisting of students and faculty reviewed, interviewed and hosted the candidates for the position.

The committee made recommendations to Rue, who made the final decision.

"She had a clear vision of a first- year experience, whether it happened to first years or transfer students," Rue said. It was "her vision and her energy" that put her above the other candidates.