ZIKR Poetry Reading

The word "zikr" has three levels of meaning, according to Griffith Chaussee, an Asian and Middle Eastern Languages professor.

On the most basic level, it means "mentioned."

Used in the mystical sense, it refers to the repeated mention of God's name in order to reach a meditative state.

On a more secular level, it means reflective meditation.

All three of those meanings, Chaussee said, will be in effect tonight at ZIKR: Remembrance, an evening of poetry and prose in the Islamic tradition.

Chaussee, who speaks and teaches Hindi and Urdu, will be among the professors who will read personal selections.

He plans to read a poem by Saiz Ahmad Saiz in the original Urdu, and then read an English translation of that poem by Agha Shahid Ali in tribute to the translator, who died last year.

History Prof. Richard Barnett also will read tonight, both in Urdu and Persian, as well as English.

Barnett, whose field of study is medieval and early modern India, speaks both languages fluently.

Barnett said he enjoyed reading last semester at this event and was eager to read again this semester.

"Although the overall theme is of Islamic tradition, the organizers invited non-Muslims as well, including myself," Barnett said. "I like the different viewpoints."

Barnett also said he recognizes the significance of the title of the reading.

"Zikr is what Muslim mystics call any type of spiritual recitation, including readings of the Koran," Barnett said. "The language is sometimes very metaphoric, and can be mistaken for non-religious literature by people who don't know. But mystics would recognize it."

Barnett said the readings can have powerful effects on the audience.

"I have seen people go into trances upon hearing such recitations," Barnett said. "It's widely acknowledged as having this effect."

In addition to the professors, several students will read, including several from Religious Studies Prof. Cynthia Hoehler-Fatton's Islam in Africa course.

All of the selections will be in translation except for one, which will be read in the original Swahili.

Hoehler-Fatton said the event's organizer, second-year College student Bilal Qureshi, was concerned that the recitation last semester did not include any readings from the body of African-Islamic literature, which led to the inclusion this year.

The reading will take place tonight at 8 in the Dome Room of the Rotunda.