Warner backs bond during Rotunda visit

Seeking both financial relief for the state's cash-starved higher education system and a political victory for his administration, Gov. Mark R. Warner addressed students from the north steps of the Rotunda yesterday, where he headlined a student rally supporting the upcoming General Obligation Bond referenda.

If passed, the education referendum would provide $846 million for capital projects at state colleges and universities.

"You're benefiting today because people 10 years ago voted on a bond package just like this," Warner said as he moved out from behind his small podium, microphone in hand. "It is incumbent upon you to make sure that we do the same for the next generation."

The rally, sponsored by the University Democrats, is part of an ongoing voter registration campaign that began earlier this month. A group of about 100 students participated, including members of the University Republicans.

"The presence of both parties proves we have put partisan politics on the backburner," University Democrats president Ian Amelkin said. "This is important to all of us."

During his speech, Warner sought to debunk the notion that the referendum would help only future students. Expanded research facilities and classroom buildings would not only accommodate a growing student population in the state, he said, but also would preserve the University's status as a top public school.

"If we're going to be sure that U.Va. retains its national ranking, we've got to have these facilities," Warner said.

University President John T. Casteen III also spoke at the noon rally, along with Student Council President Micah Schwartz, who helped organize the event. Casteen called the bond issue a "compromise that looks to the future," urging student support Nov. 5.

"We need a strategy; this is a sound strategy, so let's do it," Casteen said.

Of the $846 million that the education bond would generate over the course of the next six years, $68.3 million would pay for specific construction and renovation projects at the University. The largest of these initiatives to be financed by the bond money includes a $25 million medical research building called MR-6, a new Arts and Sciences building included in the South Lawn Project and an engineering building for nanotechnology research.

Casteen also said the bond issue would have "a tremendous impact on community colleges" in the state, which serve as not only the largest source of transfer students for the University but also, he said, provide the state's labor force with constant retraining and updating.

Included in the bond package that Warner asked students to support is a second, $119 million referendum that will appear separately on ballots in November for parks and open spaces.

Calling the bond referenda two of the most important issues facing Warner in November, Politics Professor Larry J. Sabato said they had an "excellent chance" of passing.

Of the 10 general obligation bond referenda that have faced Virginians since 1968, all 10 have passed, Sabato said. The closest of these came down to a vote of 60 percent to 40 percent, while the widest margin of victory occurred with a majority vote of 74 percent, he added.

"These things almost always pass, and they pass in landslides," Sabato said. "The governor will have two bond issues to brag about."

But Warner does not appear to be taking any chances. Following his speech, he moved about the crowd, meeting students before gesturing to the registration table and calling out, "Who here isn't registered?"

In spite of a smaller turnout than expected, Casteen said he was pleased with the rally.

"This will really come down to two issues," he said. "First, is that the students register, and second, is that they get out and vote"