Sports in Brief

Women's club tennis defeats UNC-Wilmington

The women's club tennis team traveled to Wilmington, N.C., for fall break last weekend to play UNC-Wilmington's team Saturday. The Cavaliers defeated the Seahawks, 10-0. Fourth years Nicole Griglione, Shannon Christensen and Rachel Rosenbaum, third year Jannel Horney, second year Kim Schloss and first years Mallori Browne and Heather Blish won all their matches to continue the team's undefeated streak.

The girls return to action Saturday at home at 9 a.m. against Navy at Snyder Tennis Center.

Men's club ice hockey earns split with Maryland

The Virginia men's club ice hockey team defeated Maryland, 5-4, Saturday, giving the team a hard-earned split for the weekend. Friday night found the Cavaliers stuck in the penalty box with 54 penalty minutes, leading to a 5-1 loss. First year forward Robbie Kelso scored the lone goal for the Cavaliers.

On Saturday, Virginia charged back from a 3-1 deficit to score four unanswered goals to topple the Terrapins. First year Ian McGuire and third year Larry Kosilla each tallied two goals and one assist in the comeback. This second game was a shootout, with each team taking 38 shots, but second year goalie Alex Pringle made a decisive last minute stand to ensure a Cavalier victory.

Next weekend, the Virginia hockey team ventures to battle Indiana University of Pennsylvania on Friday night and faces a rematch with Penn State on Saturday night in State College. Further scores and information can be found by visiting the team's Web site at www.uvahockey.com.

-- Compiled by Chip Knighton