Satirical, not racial humor

BLACK people love them -- maybe. Before you read any further, go to the nearest computer and review the Web site http://www.blackpeopleloveus.com. Just as the name says, it is a Web site created by two white, upperclass, and presumably uncultured people named Sally and Johnny, describing just how much black people love them. Their simulated popularity is garnered by their stereotypical actions and mocking of black culture that all black people must look for in their white friends. This Web site has been spread around college campuses and beyond, producing a lot of tension and some serious reactions. Regardless of how harmless, playful or insightful this site may seem to be, there is a lot to be learned from this parody of cultural stereotype. In light of racial reconciliation at this particular university, this Web site actually provides a place to start facing the truth in our thoughts, images and facades that occur more often than we like to admit in black and white relationships.

"Sally loves to touch my hair!" "Johnny calls me 'da man'... it makes me feel comfortable because I am black and that's how black folks talk to one another." Base stereotypical comments like these -- ideas rooted in cultural assumption and not fact -- litter the first page of the Web site, with smiling pictures of the black friends next to their own quotes. Initially, these black friends are horrifying examples of the culture of assimilation that seems to be so prevalent in modern day America -- that is, people of color who allow for stereotypes to be perpetuated around them without acting against them.

Upon further investigation, it is easily recognizes that the shallow quality of these comments contain a depth that many have failed to recognize just yet. The significance of displaying such ignorance goes beyond a few "taboo" comments and delves into the real resonating thoughts of black people and white people. On the comments page, one angered, anonymous respondent was "surprised that the NAACP has not caught up with you yet." It is the people like this that have missed the boat to recognizing the important message that this site actually portrays.

Though there is no actual disclaimer, this Web site obviously serves to present a satirical parody of the ridiculous, overbearing, "classic" stereotypes that exist concerning black people in this country -- everything from issues concerning the texture of hair to "natural rhythm" to the use of slang and "ebonics." Clearly, one may not recognize this upon first glance, but the truth of the matter easily rises above all of the negative remarks that comprise the Web site. The Hanging Out portion of the site contains pictures that demonstrate the satirical quality. For instance, while playing some version of Pictionary, Sally is unable to identify the continent Africa.

Just a short scroll down has a picture of Johnny playing a game of hangman, where he is unable to identify that the word is actually racism. These pictures have implications for people viewing this site who are unable to distinguish the true meaning of this site. These pictures are not simply random; they are intended convey the satire ofmainstream bl behind the Web page.

The biggest case of evidence of parody and not actual racism comes in the section concerning "Links Our Friends Care About." Instead of putting Popeye's Fried Chicken in this list, they have viable information and facts about black people and prominent organizations that truly are of importance and concern in the minority community like links to factual, relevant historical information about African-Americans, links to the NAACP, as well as the National Negro College Fund.

What is problematic about this site for many, however, is that there is no actual explanation for who put this site together and the reasons behind it. Many people who have visited have found it to be profoundly racist. Without a brief acknowledgement of what the site is about, the entire page is left to interpretation, and the ambiguity that exists can create confusion and incite anger in those who may not look at the site objectively. Though an extra link to an explanation about this site may be helpful, the overall statement is made greater through silence. The lack of clarification requires the people viewing this site to recognize their own ideas concerning stereotypes. The comments posted by people, black and white, agreeing and disagreeing with the site. provide an overall perspective as to what people truly think and feel, regardless of the pervasive ignorance.

People should be glad that whoever chose to create it did. It truly addresses those taboo moments that exist between different cultures. It effectively points out the problem of assumption when attempting to understand culture. It is a good thing that these people were bold enough to step out and present this information in a way that even the most ignorant person can recognize. "We hope you think we're as awesome as the black community does!" state Sally and Johnny on the opening page. Though this may not be the case, there is still appreciation for the efforts. Black people may not love them, but we cannot deny the positivity of breaking down stereotypes -- no matter how.

(Amey Adkins' column appears Tuesdays in The Cavalier Daily. She can be reached at aadkins@cavalierdaily.com.)