Students split over support for possible war on Iraq

The University has a history of political activism, and in the coming weeks students could see this activism in action.

A rally -- labeled "Dissent is Patriotic" -- and a debate over the United States' possible invasion of Iraq are scheduled for next week, representing a broad spectrum of beliefs.

Political activism at the University is not new. In May of 1970, students protested the sending of troops to Cambodia by organizing a rally on the Lawn. Although police beat students and hauled them out of Lawn rooms for arrest, Edgar Shannon -- the University President at the time -- supported the students' efforts.

Politics Prof. Larry J. Sabato, then a senior in high school, traveled to Charlottesville to attend the protest.

"It was mind boggling," he said. "I was very anti-war, and students across the country were leading the anti-war effort."

Although Sabato said he feels the peek of University activism occurred in the 1960s and 1970s, he also noted that it tends to occur in cyclical patterns, according to the circumstances and issues in the country.

Next Wednesday, students and professors will return to the Rotunda's south steps, where Shannon defended the protestors' actions, to motivate deep thinking about the potential for war with Iraq.

Student Council Chief of Staff Sarah Jobe, who is helping organize the anti-war rally, said she wants the event to be an outlet for people to show support for peace in a comfortable setting. Jobe said her involvement in the rally is unrelated to her Council duties.

Professors Julian Bond, Michael Smith, James Sofka and William Quandt will speak at the rally.

Jobe said the rally's speakers will tackle Iraq-related issues from historical, economic, religious and human rights perspectives.

"We don't want people to feel their presence is an indication of support for or against the war," Jobe said.

Bond, a former Civil Rights leader, said he hopes his speech will "convince others of the justice and truth" of his message.

"I believe we are poised to take wrongful acts," he said. "I don't believe Bush has made a convincing case for war."

Zeenat Iqbal, President of the Muslim Students Association, said the rally's message of peace aligns with Muslim ideals.

"One Muslim ideal is peace, and we would support any initiative favoring peace," Igbal said.

Some student groups like Amnesty International and the Jefferson Society are officially supporting the rally, while others have not given their official endorsement.

"We have no position" on Iraq, University Democrats President Ian Amelkin said. "The Democratic Party is extremely stratified on the issue, and so is our group."

Another forum, scheduled for Monday at 7 p.m., will confront the same diversity of opinions that Amelkin mentioned.

The discussion, to be held in the dome room of the Rotunda, will feature two speakers on opposite sides of the issue.

University History Prof. Elizabeth Thompson will speak against the war, while Miami University Political Science Prof. Adeed Dawisha, born in Baghdad, will advocate military action.

Politics Prof. James W. Ceasar said he has been disappointed by earlier teach-ins, which only expressed trepidation about attacking Iraq.

"I hope we hear more opinions supporting what the current administration is doing, or calling for more than what the administration has proposed," Ceasar said.

The College Republicans have taken a pro-war stance, according to Benjamin Beliles, the organization's chairman.

"We support the policies of President Bush, whatever they may be, in the coming months," Beliles said.

The College Republicans recently set up a table on the Lawn, and distributed pro-war pamphlets and displayed a sign reading "Attack Iraq."

Beliles said the sign has sparked controversy and verbal confrontation, but said he still feels "for a top university campus, our student body is a lot more conservative than others."

Smith said he hopes the rally will cause people to reach their own conclusions and pay more attention to the outside world.

Nathan Royster, vice chairman for events for the College Republicans, said he agrees the University is an ideal place for this to happen.

"We have a very well-balanced marketplace of ideas here at U.Va.," he said.