University looking into Weeks case, official says

Two days after reports surfaced that an official in Facilities Management, L. T. "Spike" Weeks, had accepted money transfers from a painter hired by the University, several employees have said Weeks was escorted off Grounds yesterday.

Weeks originally was accused of misdeeds by Rainbow Painting owner Ed Kirby, who presented documents of Weeks having accepted money transfers and other gifts from John Sandalis, the former owner of Dalis Painting Inc. Weeks denied having done so.

Two University employees reported that Weeks was escorted off Grounds.

Both University and Charlottesville Police, however, said they were not aware of such an incident.

"I'm not familiar with that," University Police Sgt. Tracie Craner said.

University officials have said they are looking into the situation.

"We take any concern for impropriety very seriously," said D. Mark Webb, associate director of work management in Facilities Management. "Right now we've got a concern that's been expressed."

University Spokeswoman Carol Wood said an investigation was ongoing and that the University had no comment at this time.

Though Kirby said he previously had filed a complaint with Eric Denby, director of Procurement Services, Denby said yesterday he had not previously investigated the incident and had no knowledge of it prior to this week.

Kirby currently is considering a lawsuit against the University because he said he believes he was unfairly fired, partially because of the relationship between Weeks and Sandalis.

"I'm working with" lawyers, Kirby said.

He also said he'd received a phone call from Chief Facilities Officer Robert Dillman, who left a message on Kirby's answering machine.

Dillman declined to comment on the matter.

One employee in Facilities Management, speaking on the condition of anonymity, described the incident as a "can of worms," saying it may reveal large issues of impropriety.

"It's time the whole place was cleaned up," he said. "I'd hate to see [this incident] die."