Alumni Council to address Greek relations

As part of an ongoing study to improve alumni relations with the University's Greek organizations, members from the Young Alumni Council will meet today with representatives from the University's four Greek councils, according to Aaron Laushway, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life.

The four councils consist of the Inter-Fraternity Council, the Inter-Sorority Council, the Black Fraternal Council and the Multicultural Greek Council.

"Increased alumni involvement and support is particularly welcomed," Laushway said. "The alumni represent an ongoing commitment to their chapters."

The University's Alumni Association sponsors the Alumni Council, which is comprised of alumni who have graduated from the University in the last 12 years, according to IFC President Phil Trout.

The Alumni Council began its study last month at a meeting with various members of the faculty and administration, Laushway said.

The Greek councils postponed their meeting with the Alumni Council because the IFC and ISC were involved with rush, he added.

Laushway said he expects the Alumni Council will finish its study in April. While in the preliminary stages of the study, the council "is just having conversations with faculty, administration, alumni and students," he said.

Laushway emphasized the importance of strong alumni involvement.

"Along with [representing] the University, they represent the institution of memory," he said.

Relationships with young alumni have been "a weakness that needs to be addressed," Trout said.

The Alumni Council will "jump-start the unstable relationships that the chapters have with alumni," he added. "It will provide an outsider's perspective on how we can improve alumni relations, and in particular young alumni relations."

Alumni support can be beneficial to Greek organizations in many ways, such as serving as a mediator between the administration and the Greek organizations.

"It is critical to have strong alumni support," Trout said. "They can offer assistance in any area and can be a resource for working with the University and with nationals."

Trout addressed other benefits of strong alumni ties.

"Alumni have the best interest of the chapters in mind," he said. "They are a great support both financially and otherwise."