Newly elected IFC officers focus on community relations

The Inter-Fraternity Council elections marked the beginning of a new era Thursday as nine young men became the new leaders on the 2003-2004 IFC executive board.

The old and new presidents from each fraternity and then-current IFC executives elected Ryan Ewalt president. Ewalt is a member of Phi Delta Theta and former IFC public relations spokesman.

Ewalt, a third-year Engineering student, named many goals for the upcoming term, including working together with Student Council to push back lease-signing dates.

"It makes more sense for everyone, and especially for the IFC," he said. "This way, when people pledge, they won't be bound by signed leases and they can fill up spaces in the fraternity houses."

Voters elected Theta Chi member and third-year Architecture student Charles "Greg" Moore as vice president of membership.

Moore said he had a similar interest in working with Council to move back lease-signing dates.

"Another main concern has to do with the city's re-zoning parcels of land near the fraternities," he said.

Ewalt discussed improving IFC relations with the other the other three Greek councils -- the Inter-Sorority Council, the Black Fraternal Council and the Multicultural Greek Council.

"We've come a long way, but there's a lot of room to grow," Ewalt said. "I'm sure we'll continue to foster a close relationship [with the Greek councils] to further strengthen the entire Greek system."

He also addressed improving IFC relations with the community.

"We want to work to strengthen community relations, especially with the city of Charlottesville," he said.

Voters elected St. Elmo's Hall member and third-year Commerce student Scott Cohen as public relations spokesperson.

Voters chose Pi Lambda Phi member and third-year Commerce student Phil Spradlin as vice president of administration and Sigma Chi member and second-year College student David Bowman as vice president of judiciary.

The new vice president for party patrol is second-year College student Tripp Johnson, a member of Kappa Alpha.

Voters tapped Chi Phi member and third-year College student Joe Steele as the chair for membership intake and Phi Delta Theta member and third-year Engineering student Kyle Evans as the chair for membership education.

The new secretary/treasurer is Kappa Sigma member and third-year College student Keith LeBlanc.

Outgoing president Phil Trout voiced his approval of the new executive board.

"They're a great group of guys with a lot of experience on the Board," Trout said. "They'll know what to expect in the coming year and they can build on what we've tried to accomplish."