It Was A Dark and Stormy Night

Dangerous Slip-and-Slide "The hurricane was a rather painful experience for me," third-year College student Kate Malay said. For Malay, the usual excitement provided by sliding into Mad Bowl during rain storms took a more agonizing turn.

Malay and several of her friends braved the storm late Thursday evening to go sliding in Mad Bowl. The trip to get there wasn't the dangerous part -- because Mad Bowl is the girls' front yard -- but the mud sliding itself turned out to be less fun than expected.

"Unfortunately, in the darkness, and 'maybe' under the influence of malt liquor, I couldn't see that I was actually sliding into a cesspool of broken glass and fratty cooties," Malay said.

According to Malay, after the accident happened a "very nice young man noticed I was bleeding and insisted upon bandaging me up."

Regretfully, the bandage was not enough to heal Malay's wounds. The next day, she took a trip to the emergency room where she received three staples in her forearm an attempt to close the gashes she had received. Even after that, she had to return once again to get antibiotics after the condition of the wound worsened.

According to Malay, although the actions of Thursday evening may have put a damper on the rest of her evening, the overall outcome of a fun hurricane night "was definitely worth it."

Streaky Friday

After sitting around dimly lit candles for five hours, third-year College student Amber Staley and a few of her housemates decided to venture out into the storm.

"We were checking out all the damage and all the trees that had fallen down," Staley said.

As they passed Mad Bowl, they saw about 10 people playing around in the knee-deep muddy water. Staley and her friends decided to join the fun and jumped into the water, running and splashing around.

"Then we went to the hill in front of SPE," Staley said. "It was a muddy slip n' slide, and we slid down several times."

The girls then decided to check out the scene on the Lawn.

"We literally saw 50 people streaking in the span of 20 minutes, all fairly inebriated," Staley said.

While Staley and her friends had not been drinking, two of them decided to streak anyway. Staley volunteered to stay behind and watch their clothes.

"Then a guy came over to where I was standing and tried to take their clothes because he couldn't find his own," Staley said.

While Staley couldn't believe she had been sliding into Mad Bowl when she saw the water the following day, the night was still a memorable one.

"It was probably one of the most fun nights I've had this year," Staley said. "It was crazy."

Water, Water Everywhere

The power going out was the least of fourth-year Engineering student Vincent Noel's problems.

"We were told by our landlord that flooding was a possibility in our basement," Noel said. "So we would check back there every 20 minutes or so."

When he and his roommates went to check after dinner, they found water two inches deep in parts of the basement, including Noel's bedroom.

"Luckily we had a bunch of people over and they helped us quickly remove all of the furniture," he said.

Most of the water was coming from a pipe in the laundry room, but some was spurting from a hole under the window in Noel's bedroom.

"Thank God we had duct tape handy, because we used a whole bunch of it to patch up the hole in my wall," he said.

Noel's house was fortunate -- their power came back early Friday morning, at which point the sump pump resumed its role of preventing basement flooding and got rid of most of the water.

But it was too late for Noel's rug and his night's sleep.

"I ended up having to sleep on our couch upstairs," he said. "The couch is not quite as long as my body so it was a long night."

The muddy water also warped the floor, which Noel says now looks wavy in parts.

The flooding wasn't enough to put a damper on the night, however.

"Altogether it was a fun night because we had so many people over," Noel said.

Candlelight Dinner

The rain may have been pouring down, and the winds were definitely whipping -- but the FIJI rush date function also was plowing ahead at full force.

Second-year College student Alec Rothman was one of many students who braved the storm to attend the function. Before the storm hit he planned on having dinner catered at his apartment for several of his brothers and their dates. Although the weather changed, Rothman still stuck with his original plan.

"We had food catered from Anderson's which had already been cooked earlier that day, so I just put it in the oven to keep it warm until the power went off," Rothman said.

The inside of the Wertland apartment where the event was hosted was adorned with a candle as well as a flashing red and yellow warning light that enabled the guests to see what they were doing.

After dinner, complete with lasagna, salad and garlic bread, the 8-person group was picked up by a brother and taken to the FIJI house.

"The most fun part of the evening was definitely hanging out in the house with all the power off. We lit the whole place up with tea candles and had a boom box provide the music. It was an awesome atmosphere," Rothman said.

Circle of Massage

The lights went out just as the most exciting car chase was about to begin, first-year college student Maha Kausar said. Kauser had been watching "Gone in 60 Seconds" with some friends when the power went out.

While the power stopped them from watching the movie, the determined Maupin residents were not going to let it stop them from eating. Since O'Hill lost power and was closed, they decided to go to Runk.

"We braved it from Maupin to Runk," Kausar said. "The wind was really strong to be walking in it. The rain felt like pins and needles."

After dinner, Kauser and about 10 other people crowded around a laptop computer to watch four episodes of the Family Guy. Kauser then went to play Risk in another suite while her other friends told dead baby and Helen Keller jokes.

"After we finished Risk, about 15 people went into one room in the suite, and they had a massage train," Kausar said.

When people started cuddling up in bed, Kausar said she left that room to play football in the dark. The flashlights had gone out by then but she said the ball was visible by some light coming from the windows as well as flashing ambulance lights.

The night ended around 3:30 a.m. with a slumber party in Maupin 320s.

"We just talked, and fell asleep talking," Kausar said.