Students charged in weekend altercation

Charlottesville police have charged fourth-year College students Kurt P. Rupprecht and John P. Selph with malicious wounding for their involvement in an altercation outside the Sigma Chi fraternity house early Saturday morning, which resulted in the hospitalization of second-year College student Carson Ward.

Police investigators interviewed over a dozen witnesses regarding the incident in order to obtain as clear a picture as possible, Charlottesville Police Capt. Chip Harding said.

"I don't want to speculate on intent," Harding said. "We need as many witnesses as possible."

Police responded to an assist rescue call at the 600-block of Preston Place at around 1:20 a.m. Saturday morning, where they found Ward unconscious in the street after being struck in the head and falling to the pavement.

Ward and Sigma Chi members had engaged in an argument that lasted for over half an hour after Ward and two friends attempted to enter an invitation-only party to which neither Ward nor his friends were invited guests, according to a Charlottesville Police Dept. press release.

Ward remained in critical but stable condition yesterday, University Medical Center spokesperson Marguerite Beck said. Rupprecht and Selph currently face Class 3 felony charges. If convicted they could face prison sentences of five to 20 years.

Both Rupprecht and Selph are Sigma Chi members.

Under the advice of my attorney I can't comment on the case, but I will say how sorry I am that Mr. Ward got hurt and I hope he gets well soon," Rupprecht said.

Selph could not be reached for comment yesterday.

Although legal issues prevent Sigma Chi fraternity members from disclosing any further information, they have been fully cooperative with investigators, according to Inter-Fraternity Council and University officials.

"There is an investigation going on, and we are cooperating," Sigma Chi Consul Jonathan Kelley said.

"Whenever a student is injured we take it very seriously," said Aaron Laushway, associate dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority life. "It is my understanding that the brothers of Sigma Chi are cooperating fully with the police."

Officials at Sigma Chi national headquarters said they are not undertaking any investigative or disciplinary action at this time.

"Our local folks are cooperating and we will cooperate as well," Sigma Chi Corporation President Mark Anderson said. "Beyond that it would be premature for me to say we would be taking certain actions."

Anderson also noted that the incident is not indicative of Sigma Chi as an organization.

"There is nothing that links the situation to Sigma Chi," he said. "Sigma Chi is not in the business of getting into fights."

The IFC will not conduct investigative procedures because the altercation occurred outside of the fraternity house and it was not a "fraternity on fraternity" event, IFC President Ryan Ewalt said.

While the incident will not be brought to the IFC Judiciary Committee, it may or may not involve the University Judiciary Committee, Ewalt said.

The IFC will play less of an adjudicating role and more of a support role, he added.

"We will support Sigma Chi in any way we can with whatever resources we can," Ewalt said. "We are here to support them as friends, fellow fraternity men and as the people responsible for the well-being of the system."