College students discuss options for birth control

Discussions, jokes and debates about sex are as much a part of college culture as dining hall food and football games. From first-year t-shirts celebrating phallic dorm names to debates and conservative hankering over the "morning after" emergency contraception, one cannot escape the zeal or squeamishness sex inspires.

But with national studies showing that a majority of college-age students have engaged in some type of sexual behavior, most University students have confronted sex, or at least been "sex-iled."

Perspectives on sex on Grounds range widely, as is evident even from table hopping on a Friday at Pavilion XI, in Newcomb Hall.

"I'm actually considering celibacy as a whole," fourth-year Engineering student Ahson Wordak said while lunching. "Dating and relationships don't really appeal to me."

Wordak and others cited religious beliefs as a primary reason for their decision to remain abstinent.

Most others approached said they have engaged in or are not opposed to pre-marital sex - here defined as vaginal intercourse. Many of those who are sexually active said they practice safe sex by using male condoms. One second year student admitted, however, whether she used contraception depended on "how drunk I am."

Others expressed frustration with either how little thought is given to the ramifications of sex or how difficult it is to be a virgin in what they perceive to be a sex-obsessed college atmosphere.

Seeking advice on birth control

Since the admittance of women three decades ago, the University has sought to educate students about healthy living and safe sex options.

Christine Peterson, director of gynecology at Student Health, said the clinic is charged with evaluating patients and instructing them about non-prescription methods of contraception, including the female condom, abstinence and the male condom.

If a student desires, the clinic also can write a prescription for other forms of birth control, including an inter-vaginal ring or birth control pill. The clinic cannot insert an intrauterine device, but can refer a patient to an office that will.

Students also can make appointments at the clinic for a sexually transmitted disease screening.

Those making their first trip or inquiry to the clinic usually are directed to speak with a peer health educator with the Department of Health Promotion, Peterson said. Peer health educators are undergraduate students who participate in a semester-long training program in order to advise students on the risks, benefits and costs of different types of birth control.

This peer-to-peer effort to educate students began in 1970 with the publication of "An Ounce of Prevention," a student-authored guide to safer sex that was considered taboo and included topics such as masturbation. The text was revised through the 1980s and was penned by the precursors to the present-day peer health educators.

Today, peer health educators make presentations at dormitories and Greek houses and meet with students to discuss a number of health issues ranging from stress management to birth control.

Alyssa Lederer, a fourth year who has been a peer educator for the past two and a half years, said peer health educators explain the costs and benefits to different birth control methods to interested students.

"We can't give medical advice but can talk about why one [option] might be good for one patient," she said.

For example, women who smoke are not a good candidate for birth control pills, she added.

Alison Beaver, assistant director of health promotions, said peer health educators or professionals like herself are available during regular office hours and can be reached by calling the main office number.

Promoting partner communication is also an important component of the department's mission in addition to encouraging the use of contraception, especially methods that prevent the spread of STDs.

Types of birth control

While abstinence is the only method 100 percent effective in preventing unwanted pregnancies and STDs, birth control pills must be taken daily and are 95 to 99.9 percent effective in preventing pregnancy.

A 99 percent effectiveness means that one in 100 women having sexual intercourse over the span of a year will become pregnant. Birth control pills, however, offer no protection against STDs.

The male condom is an inexpensive method to protect against STDs and pregnancy. According to the Michigan Planned Parenthood, however, condoms may "interfere with spontaneity" and may break if not used correctly.

Condoms are 86 to 97 percent effective.

Depo-Provera is an injection that provides protection against pregnancy for three months but again not against STDs. The non-reversible shot is 99.7 percent effective, according to Planned Parenthood.

The headline-grabbing emergency contraception must be taken within 72 hours after an unprotected sexual encounter to be most effective. The "morning after" pill is available at the student health center.

The Ortho Evra patch, marketed as being "On your body, Off your mind," must be changed weekly. The patch contains the same hormones as the pill, and the woman still will have her period. It may be easier for the patient to remember to change the patch weekly than take a birth control pill daily.