Tuttle: too cool for school

Free music: Not many people would willingly pass it up, but many University students have already unknowingly done so. Charlottesville may not boast the widest variety of concert venues, but for first years, there is one place to go for music right under their noses (quite literally, for Tuttle residents) -- Tuttle Lounge.

During the day, students can be found scattered throughout the lounge, studying, chatting with friends and just relaxing. But by Friday night, this cozy hang-out is turned into a vibrant concert venue where first years can enjoy a wide array of music, from punk to hip-hop, depending on the week. The best part? It's completely free of charge.

Tuttle Lounge opened its doors this year on Sept. 3 with performances by Luke Taylor and Jack's House, welcoming first years into the University community and marking the beginning of a new semester with music and fun. The lounge, as many first years found out that night, was more than just a place to study.

Behind the scenes

"Are the bathrooms down this way?"

It's a question Tuttle Lounge staffers have heard time and time again. Standing by the doors and pointing to the restrooms are only small elements of what staffers otherwise describe as a very rewarding job.

On the night of a show, the staff arrives early to prepare. They arrange the furniture into an atmosphere that is appropriate for the band performing and set up the necessary equipment. When the band arrives, the staff helps them set up and perform a sound check, and then they order dinner for the musicians.

"We spend a lot of time just sitting around chatting with [the band]," said Rita Lahlou, University Programs Council Tuttle Lounge Committee chair. "It's a very cool experience because it's just so awesome to sit around with these people that are out there doing what is so amazing and what so many people would love to do -- touring the country, playing shows. We've had people that are on their way up, and it's going to be cool to be like, 'Oh yeah, we hung out one night.'"

The love of music is what many students said convinced them to join the Tuttle Lounge staff -- it's the perfect opportunity to hang out with fellow music lovers and organize concerts at the same time.

"The idea of getting involved and being able to pick these bands that come here was one of the most exciting things I'd ever heard," Lahlou said. "Why wouldn't you want to be involved in something that lets you bring in bands you want to see and hang out with them and put this whole thing together?"

Volunteers said the extensive process of bringing a band to Tuttle is well worth it when a band been they have been dying to see performs within arm's reach.

Lahlou said she receives tons of letters, e-mails and CD samplers from bands that want to play at Tuttle, ranging from small University groups to huge names that don't know the lounge's maximum capacity is 133 people. Suggestions also come from students who fill out comment cards in which they can recommend groups that they would like to see.

"We're trying really hard to make Tuttle's events as diverse as possible," Lahlou said. "We don't want it to just be [where students] come, sit down, listen to mellow music every Friday. We want it to be something that's always changing, so that if you're not into a certain scene, there's still going to be something that you might be interested in at Tuttle."

Lahlou said the concerts thus far this year have yielded good turnouts; some bands draw larger crowds than others, but that can be expected, especially when it's hard to get the word out. The shows are only for first years, so the Tuttle Lounge Committee doesn't want to advertise to the whole University and then have to turn people away because they don't fit the requirement.

Some upperclassmen might be disappointed at not being able to attend these concerts, which are partially funded by First Year Council, but the shows are designed to bring first years together.

Several students recall positive experiences this semester at the lounge.

"The bands that have been here thus far have really seemed to enjoy being able to interact with the audience," said Kevin Simowitz, a first-year College student and Tuttle Lounge staffer. "It definitely gets the people inside talking."

Sarah Tweedt, a first-year College student and Tuttle Lounge staffer, said she wished more people knew about these free shows.

"When you get a flyer in your mailbox and it's for something at Tuttle Lounge, it's most definitely going to be worth it," Tweedt said.

On stage

It's late in the afternoon and Jack's House is driving back to their hometown of Alexandria, Va., stuck in traffic on Route 66 while passing around lead singer Javarus Ford's cell phone. Ford said they are the kind of band that is passionate about their music and very appreciative of their fans -- just the type of band Tuttle Lounge tries to attract.

"It gave us a chance to be heard, and that's all we really want," Ford said of their experience at Tuttle.

Jack's House has played at Tuttle Lounge for three years in a row and would love to continue.

"Every time we go there they treat us so well," Ford said. "They treat us like rock stars."

Jack's House members said even the basics provided at Tuttle, such as food and water and the amount of time allowed to set up and sound check, are a respite from what other venues offer. Tuttle Lounge provides a more laid-back atmosphere for the band and its intimate setting allows for one of the things that Jack's House loves most -- being able to really connect with the fans.

The fact that the stage is quite small puts the crowd right in front of the performers, allowing them to see their audience eye-to-eye.

"I'd rather work with a smaller stage size and fit more people rather than the other way around," Jack's House Drummer Jack Bryant said.

His band mates agreed.

"It's a very comfortable place for artists to play and hang out and meet their fans and have a good night," said Ricky Irby, who plays guitar and sings for Jack's House.

Bassist Dave Maniscalco said he looks forward to returning to Tuttle Lounge again next year.

"Whenever we finish we want to play the whole set again and come back as soon as possible," he added.

In the crowd

At many concert venues, there are hundreds of people with the same goal: Get as close as possible to the stage. At Tuttle Lounge, this is not a problem. At recent shows students could be found merely a foot away from the stage, and there was no pushing or shoving involved.

First-year Engineering student Ellisha Marongelli and first-year College student Zach Glaze attended Tuttle Lounge's opening night show and said they were pleasantly surprised with what it had to offer.

"It wasn't like a big, crazy concert," Marongelli said. "It was kind of laid-back, and the band wasn't separated from the audience, [which] was pretty cool."

The close proximity of the audience and band was definitely one of the aspects students most noticed and appreciated.

"You feel all their energy when they're jumping around and singing hard," Glaze said.

Marongelli agreed.

"Yeah, it's intense," she chimed in. "You can cheer them on, and they can actually see you and be like, 'Hey, that girl's cheering us on -- let's give her a free shirt,' which they did."

That first concert made Marongelli a fan -- of both Tuttle Lounge and Jack's House.

"I put [the Jack's House] sticker on my guitar," she said. "It takes a good band for people to put their sticker on their guitar."

And if it wasn't for Tuttle Lounge, Marongelli might never have heard of the group.

"I didn't know that Tuttle Lounge had concerts until that night," she said. "I think it's really cool."