U.Va. to host first international undergrad research conference

This April, the University will host the first-ever international undergraduate research conference.

"The purpose of the conference is to bring students and faculty together to celebrate undergraduate achievement," said Nicole Hurd, assistant dean and director of the University's Center for Undergraduate Excellence.

The 2005 Undergraduate Research Conference is sponsored by Universitas 21, an international network of leading research-intensive universities. Its mission is to facilitate collaboration and cooperation between member universities and create entrepreneurial opportunities on a worldwide scale.

Hurd said the University is unique because it is the only American school in the Universitas 21 consortium.

"We thought it would be a great way to start having more connection between our students and those at other universities by hosting [this conference]," Hurd said.

The University invited each of the 16 member schools to send up to three students to participate in the conference, where they will have the opportunity to present their research projects and receive feedback from fellow students, faculty and mentors.

"U21 is interested in undergraduate research, and because [the University] has the expertise, we decided to host it," said Denise Karaoli, assistant to the associate provost for institutional advancement.

In addition, the students' research will be published in a special edition of The Oculus, the Virginia Journal of Undergraduate Research, Karaoli said.

The Center for Undergraduate Excellence will select attendees from the University. The deadline for applications is Jan. 21, and undergraduate students from any school are allowed to apply.

Universitas 21 includes universities in eight countries and enrolls approximately 500,000 students, according to the Universitas 21 Web site.