Lauren Todd Pappa

Honor charges stemmed from UJC sanctions

Last May, Stephanie Garrison walked the Lawn during final exercises with the Class of 2006. But unlike the rest of her classmates, Garrison did not receive her diploma, even though she completed coursework for an undergraduate degree in politics. In an honor trial four months earlier, Garrison was convicted of lying--and her diploma was withheld.

Drink to your health

With the onset of spring and the coming of warm weather, many students will reach for a cool beverage to quench their thirst as temperatures rise in Charlottesville.

Ideas differ on sanction reform

The Honor Committee heard two opposing proposals on the issue of sanction reform at its meeting Sunday night. The Sanction Reform Committee, after looking into several alternative sanctioning policies, voted to formally recommend to the Honor Committee a policy that would add a forgiveness clause to the current single sanction system. SRC Chair Sara Page presented the resolution, which asked the Committee to forward the forgiveness clause proposal to a student-body referendum in the upcoming spring election. "The heart of this resolution is really the idea of putting a reform policy on the ballot," Page said.

Local charity events planned for tsunami relief

University student groups and local businesses are taking part in the global tsunami relief effort by organizing fundraising events on Grounds and in the Charlottesville community. Several student groups are collaborating on their tsunami relief events.

Gifford slated for teaching asst. position

After being fired from his English teaching position for taking an unauthorized field trip with his detective fiction class earlier in the semester, graduate Arts and Sciences student Justin Gifford is back in the game, gearing up to serve as a teaching assistant for Shakespeare II next semester. In early October, Gifford was dismissed from his position after he and 23 of his students were arrested for trespassing during a Sept.

Honor debuts sanction Web site

As the single sanction debate heats up on Grounds, students now can go online to read about and discuss the issue through a new Web site sponsored by the Honor Committee. The site, www.singlesanction.com, officially was launched on Friday, and finishing touches will be completed today, Sanction Reform Committee Chair Sara Page said. Page said the goal for the site is to engage students who may not have a clear position on the single sanction issue and might not be familiar enough with the honor system to make an educated decision about whether the sanction should be reformed. "I think the Web site is an awesome resource that will let students look at the single sanction issue with the full information they need to make the best decision on the issue," Page said. The site presents a summary of the arguments for and against the single sanction that traditionally have been raised in public debate over the issue. Zach Williams, chair of the Web site subgroup of the Sanction Reform Committee, said he thinks the presentation of the opposing arguments is the site's strongest feature. "I like how students can go to the site, make two clicks and be fully informed about how leaders on both sides of the debate are thinking," Williams said. The site also incorporates the faculty's perspective on the single sanction with links to two statements by the Academic Affairs Committee of the Faculty Senate as well as a resolution by the Arts and Sciences Council. Also, the site contains a "useful resources" page with a link to honor case statistics posted on the Honor Committee's Web site and a link to the National Center for Academic Integrity. In addition to literature about the single sanction, the site also has an interactive discussion board where students can post comments and take part in an online discussion about the issue. "I see people sort of exploring the issues" on the discussion board, Page said.

U.Va. to host first international undergrad research conference

This April, the University will host the first-ever international undergraduate research conference. "The purpose of the conference is to bring students and faculty together to celebrate undergraduate achievement," said Nicole Hurd, assistant dean and director of the University's Center for Undergraduate Excellence. The 2005 Undergraduate Research Conference is sponsored by Universitas 21, an international network of leading research-intensive universities.

More articles »