Access U.Va. expansion means more financial aid

Access U.Va., the University's extensive financial aid initiative launched early last year, is expanding its reach earlier than expected in an effort to meet the financial needs of additional students, particularly those transferring to the University from Virginia's 23 community colleges.

Beginning this fall, Access U.Va. will offer full demonstrated financial need in the form of grants, without loans or a work study requirement, to students from families with incomes at or below 200 percent of the federal poverty line, the University announced Monday. Previously, only students whose family income was at 150 percent of the poverty line qualified for debt-free financial aid.

The program will also expand to offer transfer students from the Virginia Community College System full Access U.Va. benefits.

In past years, students with need have met their financial obligations through loans and work study. Originally, Access U.Va.'s benefits would not be extended to transfer students for four to five years.

"Even this group that we're including in the full scholarship group, what this does is guarantee that they have it met with scholarships," University President John T. Casteen, III said. "This is basically a form of packaging need that tries to eliminate or minimize debt."

University administrators say the expanded Access U.Va. program aims to make the University uniquely accessible to a wide range of students.

"Princeton and Harvard have attractive aid programs," University Dean of Admissions John A. Blackburn said. "But of the publics, I think you'll find without any argument this is the most generous."

In light of tuition increases of 10 percent for in-state students last year, the new program is expected to help counter "sticker shock" that often keeps low income and particularly community college students from applying to the University, Casteen said.

"It's a great opportunity," said Glen DuBois, chancellor of the Virginia Community College System. "I know a number of community college graduates will take advantage of it."

Last year, approximately 250 students transferred successfully from Virginia community colleges to the University. Of the 15,000 students graduating from the community college system, 7,500 traditionally enroll in four-year schools.

"Increasingly, community colleges are becoming feeder schools to America's most elite universities," DuBois added. "I don't think the University realizes it, but what they have done is sent a message to the private sector and other universities by targeting community college students."

The program's effectiveness in attracting well qualified students with financial need and getting them to matriculate will not be known until this spring. The admissions committee currently is reviewing applications for the fall semester.

"We're optimistic," Blackburn said. "We've been trying to get the word out; it's such an attractive aid program."