UBE sponsors Student Council debates

Last night the University Board of Elections hosted the Student Council representative and executive candidate debates.

Candidates running for the positions of College of Arts and Sciences representative, vice president of administration, executive vice president, and Council president responded to questions concerning their stance on various University issues and elaborated upon their qualifications for positions.

The candidates answered questions prepared by the UBE as well as questions contributed by the audience.

UBE Chair Steve Yang and UBE member Chris Jones served as debate moderators. Both said they were pleased with the caliber of questions proposed by the audience, as well as attendance at the debates compared to attendance in previous years.

"I think it was a very informational forum," Yang said.

Many of the students in attendance were carrying poster board signs and sporting campaign stickers in support of their favorite candidate.

Candidates' statements covered topics including increased student body involvement in Council, diversity issues and additional measures taken to increase the safety of students around Grounds.

The first round of debates was conducted among the candidates for Council College reps.

In the second round of debates, the vice president for administration candidates Monti Lawson, College first-year, and Okey Udumaga, College second-year, both emphasized the importance of increasing student involvement in Council.

Executive vice presidential candidates Darius Nabors, College second-year, and Samuel White, College second-year, participated in the third round of debates. Nabors and White both pointed out that Council was not very efficient or student-friendly -- aspects of Council they would seek to change if elected.

The evening culminated with the presidential candidates' debate. The candidates responded to a broad range of questions and all put a common emphasis upon keeping the student body more informed on Council's activities.

Jequeatta Upton, College second-year, said that she would seek to make the Council a more credible organization through student involvement. Thomas Gibson, College third-year, focused on getting results from the University administration as well as saying he would "get things done." Gregory Jackson, School of Engineering second-year, said he seeks to ensure security to the University community on many different levels by making use of his close relations to administration employees. Jhanjee said he wants students to get excited about Council in general. The candidates' positions are more fully laid out on their respective Web sites.

"Biggest problem with Student Council -- What does it do?" said Curran Jhanjee, College third-year.

Each candidate was met with enthusiastic applause from the audience, particularly Jhanjee, whose supporters gave uproarious cheers after each of his brief comments.