Commerce professor dies from meningitis

Wreaths wrapped in black ribbons are hung from the doors of Monroe Hall to mourn the death of Ellen Marie Whitener, senior associate dean and professor at the McIntire School of Commerce, who passed away Tuesday morning.

Prof. Whitener was 47 years old. She entered the University Hospital last Saturday and was diagnosed with a rare, non-contagious form of pneumococcal meningitis.

Joining the Commerce School in 1988, Whitener excelled as a teacher, researcher and academic leader in the fields of government services, health care, general consulting in financial resources and human resources.

Prof. Whitener conducted thorough research in employee commitment, trust and human resource practices, and her findings were published in multiple journals, such as "Journal of Applied Psychology," "Human Resource Management Review" and "Academy of Management Review."

Whitener is remembered by her colleagues in the Commerce School as a quiet, composed source of stability and support.

"She was the glue that held the school together, she was innovative, smart, compassionate and tough when she needed to be, a mentor, a leader and a friend to everyone she dealt with," Commerce School Dean Carl Zeithaml said.

Whitener did whatever was necessary to help other faculty members pursue research and give them moral support and advice in times of personal crisis, Prof. Rob Cross said.

The Commerce School faculty members also remember being inspired not only by Whitener's interpersonal compassion, but also by her commitment to her work and research.

"She challenged, by example, the faculty to a higher level of teaching, research and service," Prof. Richard De Mong said.

Above her duties as an administrator, Whitener is remembered as caring first and foremost for her students and their education.

"She really saw students as peers, as friends and as people she could mentor and help," Prof. James Burroughs said.

Whitener made herself available to students as often as possible.

"Her door was always open -- no problem was too small," third-year Commerce student Janet Pinkston said.

In a show of support for the teacher who always took the time to work through any problems, personal or academic, Whitener's Block five Commerce class engaged in a spontaneous, multi-faith prayer for her Monday afternoon, said Rebecca Leonard, assistant dean for undergraduate student services.

"She just had the best outlook on life, and she was always helping others," third-year Commerce student Erica Strine said.

Students have put up a board of memories and are compiling a book of written passages of remembrance in Monroe Hall for Whitener, Leonard said.

"She really completed the Comm School experience," third-year Commerce student Nassim Hooshmandnia said.

Whitener was a survivor of breast cancer and an avid sportswoman, who ran multiple races in support of breast cancer awareness.

Whitener also was deeply involved in the community, serving on the Board of Visitors for the Paramount Theatre, and boards of the Charlottesville Center for Christian Study and the Hospice of the Piedmont.

There is a memorial service scheduled today at 1 p.m., in the Trinity Presbetyrian Church on Fontaine Avenue. Fifth and Sixth block classes in the Commerce School are cancelled today, in remembrance of Prof. Whitener.

"We will miss her deeply here," Martin said.