IGC seeks to improve member communication

The Executive Boards of the four Greek councils met yesterday for the Greek Orientation Leadership Seminar, an event sponsored by the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life in order to promote communication within the Greek community.

Among the main objectives for the seminar was increased personal interaction, recognition of commonalities and differences in the councils and discussion of future plans of the Greek community, said Chris McGill, assistant dean at the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life, who facilitated the seminar.

McGill said although the objectives were met, seminar participants could have spent more time discussing future plans.

"What we need to do is to really look at what the future holds for us and what we want our organizations to be doing," McGill said.

The seminar consisted of open discussions, community building activities, presentations and prompt-based forums.

Some Greek executive members who attended the seminar said it was a successful and effective event that drew the four councils closer together by increasing communication and bridging the gap through common concerns.

"It was an extremely enlightening experience because rarely do we get a time when everyone comes together to see each other face to face and hear the sincerity of the other councils," said Elizabeth Snyder, Inter-Sorority Council vice president of administration.

Multicultural Greek Council President Julie Chung also said it was beneficial to put faces to names of people she has communicated with in the past via e-mail.

The dialogue between the councils will be ongoing, said Kat Shea, an intern at the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life and seminar facilitator.

"This is the first of many conversations, and I look forward to seeing what will come out of this," Shea said.