Searching for Space

In response to the recent revision of City zoning codes, local developers are building high-density apartments with fewer parking spaces around the University area.

The new zoning code allows a density of 87 units per acre and a half of a parking space per bedroom, said Zicki Hawes, manager of the University's off-Grounds housing office.

Rick Jones, president of Management Services Corporation, said the new zoning code came as a result of the high demand for housing near the University.

Jones said many building projects have begun development starting last year when the new zoning code was adopted.

"Probably five different developers are building in neighborhoods designated as the residential University high-density areas," Jones said.

Jones said the zoning ordinance should have been in effect a long time ago because more people will be able to live where they want.

"Students, faculty and staff want to live close to where they work and go to school, but there is no room for everyone," Jones said.

Another benefit of high-density apartments near the University is the decrease in traffic congestion.

"I think that we are going to have to be smarter about our cars and do things that are civically responsible because not everyone can have their cars right outside their doors," Hawes said.

Student reaction to the high-density apartments with limited parking is varied.

Fourth-student College student Mika Richardson, who lives on Jefferson Park Avenue, said she values living near the University over having a car.

"I enjoy living near the University because it allows me to walk to my classes, and I would be willing to park my car at the University Hall if it means living closer to Grounds," Richardson said.

Second-year College student Sandra Khananusit said she enjoys living at Sterling Place even if it is located far from the University because of its spacious environment.

"I value living in a newer apartment complex where I can see other things besides other buildings when I look out the window," Khananusit said.

Jones said the City is hopeful that students will respond positively to the high-density apartments.

Hawes said he feels construction of the new buildings is a great situation for the students because they will have newer places to live.

"A lot of properties are being renovated so that students do not have to live in the older buildings they are in now," Hawes said.