StudCo, Service Coalition hold annual CIO awards

Last night, Student Council and the Virginia Service Coalition recognized 19 University CIOs for their achievements in areas such as diversity and service over the past year at the annual CIO Awards Ceremony, held for the first time in the Rotunda Dome Room.

This year, Council recognized Sustained Dialogue as the most outstanding large CIO, because it now is being used as a model for other schools, garnering national attention, Council Chair of Diversity Initiatives Elizabeth Chu said, as she presented the award.

Council also recognized Theta Nu Xi Multicultural Sorority as the most outstanding small CIO, in part because of its production on diversity, titled "Portraits," that sparked discussion among University students.

Other CIOs received recognition from the Virginia Service Coalition for their contributions to service-related events. The National Society of Black Engineers received the most outstanding service program award for a program that provides mentors for aspiring African-American engineers.

The other outstanding service program award was presented to Special Friends for their service to local individuals with special needs.

"I was really amazed by the breadth and variety of outstanding CIOs," said Daisy Rodriguez, assistant dean of students, who served on the committee of judges.

"Reading through the applications opened my eyes to the reality of the inspiring work and effort of U.Va. students, their leadership abilities and initiatives," Rodriguez said.

In total, 65 CIOs vied for approximately $2,000 in prize money that was distributed among the 19 award recipients. The prizes were donated by Council, the Virginia Service Coalition, the University Bookstore and Bank of America, Chu said.

Some sponsors said they hope the event will inspire and challenge other CIOs.

"I hope the ceremony will inspire CIOs next year to do a lot of projects that will impact the University and the community," Council President Jeaquetta Upton said.

Other organizers said the event primarily serves to recognize the accomplishments made over the past year.

"I think it's really important that the University administration and the student body recognize what these CIOs have done," Chu said. "The contributions that they have given to the University are priceless and remain an indelible part of the U.Va. community and experience."

This year's ceremony drew 120 attendees, prompting Stephanie Goodell, an event organizer and assistant director for student involvement, to praise last night's event as "the best one I have seen yet in all the years I have been here."