Two students assaulted near Corner

Two male University students were assaulted by unknown attackers in two separate incidents near the Corner early Sunday morning, according toCharlottesville Police.

The police reported that three black males punched one of the students in the face at approximately 2 a.m. in the 200 block of 15th Street near the train tracks. The student was transported to the University Medical Center to receive treatment for minor injuries.

In another incident approximately one hour earlier, four black males jumped out of the bushes in the 400 block of 14th Street and slapped another University student five times and punched him in the back of the neck. Police said the student refused rescue and did not wish to pursue charges.

Police said given the times and proximity of the incidents, it is likely both were committed by the same group of attackers.

"We're out beating the bushes for these people," Charlottesville Police Sgt David Jones said.

Following the incidents, police were dispatched to the area but were unable to locate the suspects.

"From what we have from the victims, all they could give us was a very general description of the assailants," Charlottesville Police Sergeant Joseph Hatter said.

According to Hatter, it would be difficult to pursue the attackers at this point, unless another witness steps forward.

It is unclear whether the incidents are linked to the Sept. 18 altercation at Sigma Alpha Epsilon fraternity.

"I'm extremely concerned, because last weekend we had the incident at SAE," Inter-Fraternity Council President Ross Kimbel said. "It goes to show how we as a community must be more vigilant. The attacks [last weekend] weren't targeting the fraternity community specifically. Everyone must be more vigilant talking about this problem. This is a University-wide problem."

University spokesperson Carol Wood said the University is aware of the attacks and will contact the victims. The University also will publicize safety precautions.

"Charlottesville is considered a safe area but bad things still happen, and students should not get lulled into complacency that nothing can happen to them," Wood said. "We try to tell students on a regular basis ---- not just women but men as well ---- that they should not walk alone at night, but if they have to, they should remain alert at all times."

Wood urged students to take advantage of the extended hours of University Transit Service buses and to use Safe Ride.

"During President [University President John T. Casteen III's] welcome address to the parents of first years, he told parents that they should tell their daughters and sons to be careful and to avoid certain areas adjacent to Grounds late at night, and one area that I remember he specifically mentioned to avoid was the area around Wertland Avenue and 14th and 15th Streets," Wood said.

Student leaders expressed concern that after racial incidents reported at the beginning of this year and a spate of assaults last year, safety continues to be a problem.

"It's extremely shocking ---- it's so bad," Student Council President Jequeatta Upton said upon learning of the attacks. "We need to be cognizant of our surroundings at all times. We have to encourage students to stay in groups, to take safe avenues home. We can work with University and Charlottesville Police to prevent situations like this in the future."

Some students have taken up the gauntlet themselves recently, forming the Neighborhood Watch Program. One participant, second-year College student Laura Hussey, said she thinks the student-run group can help prevent future attacks.

"We did a three-week experiment of patrolling Rugby and 14th Street late at night, and it's been helpful for the community," Hussey said. "It makes students feel like there's always someone watching out for their safety."

Neighborhood Watch Program Manager Stewart Ackerly said he hopes Student Council will continue the experimental program in light of the incidents.