FCC orders schools to ready systems for surveillance

The Federal Communications Commission recently ordered an expansion of an Internet surveillance law that will require universities to redesign their computer networks in order to give law enforcement officials easier access to online communications.

The FCC's final ruling is still flexible, and the University is awaiting further direction.

"It's not clear exactly what will be required anywhere because the standards are still being developed," University Director of Communications and Systems Jim Jokl said. "But my understanding is that the law has been passed and there are 18 months to comply."

Educause, an organization composed of many colleges and universities including the University, is currently working with the Commission to iron out the specific requirements that universities will have to meet.

The organization recently issued a statement opposing the law's expansion, stating that it "is not cost effective, nor in the public interest, to overhaul the networks of all institutions just in case a lawful surveillance may be required in the future at one of them."

The New York Times reported that technology officials estimated the total cost of compliance at $7 billion.

Other organizations, including the non-profit Center for Democracy and Technology, also oppose the rule.

A statement on the CDT's Web site said, "CDT and others are very likely to challenge the FCC's order in court, arguing that the decision exceeds the terms of the statute, imposes undue burdens on innovation and threatens the privacy of Internet users."

However the FCC's final rule, which was published Oct. 13 in the Federal Register, states safeguarding homeland security and combating crime "weighs heavily in favor of the application of CALEA obligations to all facilities-based broadband Internet access service providers."

"It is clearly not in the public interest to allow terrorists and criminals to avoid lawful surveillance by law enforcement agencies by using broadband Internet access services as a substitute for dial-up service," the statement reads.

The law originally was passed in 1994 but had not previously applied to all public broadband Internet service providers.