Council considers concerns at forum

Student Council held a forum and social open to members of the community who wished to voice their concerns about Council or the University community in Maury Hall last night.

There is a renewed drive to get people involved this year, Council Vice President for Administration Okey Udumaga said.

"We're going to lay the groundwork, but we need the support," he said.

Fewer than 10 non-Council members came to address their concerns. There are weekly meetings open to the public where community members can address members of Council, but Council decided to hold a larger forum because members of the community have voiced complaints that Council was not addressing their concerns, co-chair of the Student Life committee Alex Zapple said.

A variety of questions and concerns were addressed, including adding Internet-accessible computer kiosks to more academic buildings, reducing parking fees and beautification of residential areas further away from on Grounds, especially Lambeth.

Safety concerns included increasing the number of blue-light phones around Grounds, an online listing of shuttle schedules during inclement weather and better lighting on the Lawn.

Students also expressed frustration with the hours of operation for Newcomb dining hall and Pavilion XI, commonly known as the Pav.

Forum facilitators and Student Life committee co-chairs Jeff McLaughlin and Zapple said they would have liked to see more non-Council community members in attendance.

"It shouldn't be up to us," McLaughlin added. "We need everyone's input."

Although most of the attendees were Council members, the forum was successful in generating a list of concerns for committees to address, Udumaga said.

"I would have liked more general U.Va. body members, but it was very productive," he said.

The forum, which lasted about an hour, opened with chairs of each Council committee presenting their purpose and what they have done so far this year. Presentations were followed by an open question and comments session.

Council has held forums like this in the past, but this is the first concerns forum that Council has had in recent years. There will be least one more this year, most likely in the during the spring semester, according to Zapple.

"We're always open to any questions or suggestions," McLaughlin said. "That's what we're here for. You don't have to commit to any committee to be heard."