BOV considers expansion plans

Proposed sketches of the upcoming expansion of College facilities, known as the South Lawn Project, were presented to the University's Board of Visitors Jan. 20. The Board's Buildings and Grounds Committee was briefed by University Architect David Neuman.

The project, when completed, will provide additional classroom and office space as well as gathering areas for students and faculty, according to College Dean Edward Ayers.

"This will be the biggest building project since the University was built," Ayers said. "We have a real need for all the space for faculty and students."

The design, created by Moore Ruble Yudell Architects and Planners, would extend the concept of the Lawn across Jefferson Park Avenue, Ayers said. A terrace would link the new buildings to the area near New Cabell Hall, which would be destroyed in a later phase of construction, he added.

The first phase of the project will include construction of the terrace as well as three buildings for the History, Politics and Religious Studies departments, adding 100,000 square feet of classroom and office space, Ayers said.

The Board of Visitors has appropriated a total of $60 million for all three phases of the expansion, and an additional $27 million has been raised thus far, primarily through private philanthropy, Ayers said.

Board of Visitors member and Capital Campaign chair Gordon Rainey said he hopes the University's ongoing Capital Campaign will attract specific donations toward the South Lawn project.

"As soon as we can raise $41 million, we can break ground," Ayers said. "My dream is that we would have this gathered by this summer."

Before ground can be broken, the Board of Visitors must approve the designs.

"I'm sure there will be lots of changes, particularly in the exterior finishes," Board Rector Tom Farrell said. "These weren't intended to be final drawings by any stretch. They're trying to see how buildings fit on the topography."

Rainey also noted the importance of developing the best possible exterior designs for the buildings given their proximity to the Lawn.

The South Lawn Taskforce Committee, composed primarily of members of the Arts & Sciences Council, has provided student input and reaction throughout the design process.

According to Catherine Neale, student Boardmember and taskforce committee chair, the project will bring numerous benefits to all students, ranging from "sitting in a classroom that has central air to adaptable classroom space so you're not sitting in a chair that's bolted to the floor."

Buildings created during the second and third phases of the project will bring additional benefits and opportunities to students, Ayers and Neale noted.

-Ashley Simpson contributed to this article.