Casteen meets with 17 students in sit-in

SATURDAY, APRIL 15, 2006, 4:30 A.M. -- University President John T. Casteen, III, met early Saturday morning with the 17 student protesters conducting a sit-in at Madison Hall on behalf of the Living Wage Campaign.

Following the meeting, at around 3 a.m., administrators allowed living wage supporters outside of the building to pass some food to the students inside Madison Hall. Administrators had previously not allowed food to be brought into the building.

Among widespread expectations that the protesting students would be arrested if they did not agree to the terms set during the meeting, over 100 students gathered outside of Madison Hall during the meeting. No arrests followed.

Casteen, along with Vice President for Student Affairs Patricia Lampkin, Dean of Students Penny Rue and Leonard Sandridge, executive vice president and chief operating officer, among others, spoke with the striking students beginning around 1:15 a.m. and concluding at 2:55 a.m.

Casteen posted a letter detailing his proposal to the protesting students on the University