Khatami addresses violence, war, terror

Former Iranian President Mohammad Khatami spoke to an invited group of approximately 140 faculty, students and friends of the University Thursday afternoon. In a speech titled "Religion and Democracy," he discussed the issue of ending violence, war and terror worldwide.

The event was sponsored by the Institute for Advanced Studies in Culture and its Center on Religion and Democracy.

Center Executive Director James Davison Hunter noted in his introductory remarks that Thomas Jefferson's Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom and Declaration of Independence "were revolutionary innovations designed to increase the possibility of human flourishing." Hunter said his Institute sponsored Khatami's address in order to further the goal of "taking on this Jeffersonian burden for our time and our circumstances."

Though Khatami delivered his address in Farsi with the assistance of a translator, he greeted the audience with a few words in English and apologized for presenting his speech in another language.

Khatami discussed how the threat of violence can be contained, both in theory and in action.

Khatami said violence is an outcome of the rationale that "whoever is not with us, is against us."

Khatami said, however, there is hope for peace because the world has a strong unity of opinion regarding fundamental issues facing the world today, including the problem of security and the destructive power of sanctified violence.

Dialogue among civilizations can also allow for "the opening of the sphere of rationality and morality in confrontation with force and violence," Khatami said.

Such dialogues should focus on several key goals, including the improvement of the present state of affairs among religions and cultures and civilizations, the realization of the shared goals of humanity and the recognition of justice as the key to ending conflict, Khatami added.

Khatami's visit to the University was criticized by both University students and Sen. George Allen, R-Va. Last week, Allen sent a letter to Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice criticizing the decision to grant Khatami a visa.

Fourth-year College student Michael Wain protested Khatami's visit by organizing a group which posted flyers across Grounds to educate people about Khatami.

Wain said he believes Khatami "was a disgraceful choice for a speaker, especially at a time such as this ... when a threat of terrorism is very real."

Wain also criticized Khatami's record on human rights.

"He has persecuted his own people, he presided over 1999's crackdown at Tehran University where students were brutalized," Wain said. "He overtly sympathized with Hezbollah ... which is particularly troubling because Hezbollah has been responsible for more American deaths than any terrorist organization besides Al-Qaeda."

Khatami addressed his support for Hezbollah during a question-and-answer session following his remarks.

Khatami said Iran has advised and counseled Hezbollah to become a part of civil society.

Hezbollah "has done a lot of work in the ... development of civil society in Lebanon in general," Khatami said, noting this development aids the democratization of Lebanon.

Khatami also said Hezbollah can provide protection against threats to Lebanon until the Lebanese army strengthens.

Khatami also addressed other issues, including the negative media image of Iran presented internationally.

"Unfortunately, the face that is shown of Iran is not the right kind of image," Khatami said. "Our president has told Mr. Bush that the time has come for putting aside hegemonic talk and the talk of power" in order to engage in a proper dialogue.

Khatami also answered a question about whether it would be best for Iraqis if American troops were to stay or leave.

Khatami said the Americans removed Iran's greatest enemy, Saddam Hussein, but "the method by which this was done is not acceptable."

Khatami said, however, that if peace is to be achieved, the current Iraqi government cannot be left in the hands of insurgents.

"If America said it wants to leave Iraq tomorrow, I would say, 'No, don't do it,'" he said.